Are you vegetarian/vegan?

danwasd

Popster to Popster 3,689
1 hour ago, GitHub said:

It sucks because, like you said, in terms of the actual price healthy food is often cheaper not to mention cheaper in the long run when you factor in cost of healthcare. I've saved a lot by buying along the "perimeter" of the store as they say.

I'm glad you pointed this out. It is a shame governments don't subsidize the correct types of food. If prices reflected the true costs to the environment and society, then there won't be a premium for foods that are both better for people and the planet, and more people would be able to afford them. Max Sigh GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

• paws up 1

RIP Angel 1,992
3 hours ago, Bakugo said:

The lies that veganism is expensive FRUSTRATES ME. This isn’t at you its at the entire meat industry... and world... 

3 hours ago, Delusional said:

it can be super expensive in some countries cos not all of them produce vegan and vegetarian animal products within the country yet - so it’s hard to buy and if it’s available it costs a lot since it’s been imported 

THIS. They're either expensive or doesn't exist at all. In a way, Veganism is a social construct here.

Edited by Daylight Oreos

Popstanne 5,076

I don't know if anyone here has tried it, but I love tofu skin ('yuba' in Japanese,'fuzhu' in Chinese). It comes dry, either in sheets, tubes, or little bows, and you have to rehydrate it, but then you can do so much with it. It's great in soups or as a cold salad, and it really absorbs flavors. I love its texture too. It can also be used as a skin for a kind of vegetarian/vegan spring roll. 

• thanks 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
19 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I don't know if anyone here has tried it, but I love tofu skin ('yuba' in Japanese,'fuzhu' in Chinese). It comes dry, either in sheets, tubes, or little bows, and you have to rehydrate it, but then you can do so much with it. It's great in soups or as a cold salad, and it really absorbs flavors. I love its texture too. It can also be used as a skin for a kind of vegetarian/vegan spring roll. 

Might have to look for this next time in my local asian food market - thanks for the rec :gaga-thanks:

• paws up 1

Popstanne 5,076
9 minutes ago, NYNJ Gypsy said:

Might have to look for this next time in my local asian food market - thanks for the rec :gaga-thanks:

You can buy it online too. I love it in hot pot and dry pot because it absorbs all the seasonings, but it's really yummy with a light vinaigrette (soy sauce, rice vinegar or black vinegar, sesame oil) and maybe some green pepper too. It can take a while to rehydrate, and sometimes you may need to boil it if you aren't using it in a soup dish to make sure there are no crunchy parts left.  

I'm sure there are tons more recipes, but I tend to default to the same old ones. 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
2 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

You can buy it online too. I love it in hot pot and dry pot because it absorbs all the seasonings, but it's really yummy with a light vinaigrette (soy sauce, rice vinegar or black vinegar, sesame oil) and maybe some green pepper too. It can take a while to rehydrate, and sometimes you may need to boil it if you aren't using it in a soup dish to make sure there are no crunchy parts left.  

I'm sure there are tons more recipes, but I tend to default to the same old ones. 

now that I think about it, I think I've had this at a Chinese restaurant before - it was thin/skin-like and deep fried. Not sure if it is the same thing...I forget the Chinese name

• paws up 1

Popstanne 5,076
1 minute ago, NYNJ Gypsy said:

now that I think about it, I think I've had this at a Chinese restaurant before - it was thin/skin-like and deep fried. Not sure if it is the same thing...I forget the Chinese name

Yes, you might have. It can be used in stir-fries too. Now I'm craving some. 

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
45 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I think I had this in hot pot once :classic_huh:

• yaas, gaga 1

On 1/19/2021 at 3:19 AM, Bakugo said:

My fav is Lentil Potatoes Masala!

On 1/19/2021 at 3:02 AM, ... said:

Indian cuisine is amazing for vegetarian recipes. Palak paneer is one of my favourites.

Both are my fave too!!

F14-F012-A-9702-46-F7-A1-E9-25-B87118-BD