COVID-19 discussion

LetsGetHigh

Gaming Leader 8,440
23 hours ago, BenG said:

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

US and UK flopping :mess:

Indeed, here in Canada, we are slowly coming back to life. Major cities where we had the worst outbreak and which has been kept at a red level since March 2020 (business closed, curfew, etc.) are becoming yellow level now (re-opening, no more curfew, coming back to school). The prime minister from my state, which had the most important cases of COVID-19 spread throughout the population, just announced that in the next weeks coming up, our worst city will finally be green. 

Hope countries that will eradicate it first will help the others, despite it not being profitable for them. 

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
3 minutes ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

Indeed, here in Canada, we are slowly coming back to life. Major cities where we had the worst outbreak and which has been kept at a red level since March 2020 (business closed, curfew, etc.) are becoming yellow level now (re-opening, no more curfew, coming back to school). The prime minister from my state, which had the most important cases of COVID-19 spread throughout the population, just announced that in the next weeks coming up, our worst city will finally be green. 

Hope countries that will eradicate it first will help the others, despite it not being profitable for them. 

Is the Delta variant detected in Canada?

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
Just now, Lorde Von Kok said:

Ten people just got detected having the variant in Calgary. 

:mess:

Just interested to see how that pans out given Canada's strategy to maximize first dose numbers.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Delta variant in the UK

• More than 90% (as high as 96%) of new cases are due to the Delta variant
  • The number of cases is doubling between every 4.5 and 11.5 days, depending on region in England
  • The Delta variant has 60% higher household transmission risk over the Alpha variant
  • 1/3 of Delta variant patients that required emergency care had received at least one dose of vaccine
  • Out of 42 deaths due to the Delta variant, 19 had been vaccinated with at least one dose
  • shook 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 infection after two doses

Pfizer-BioNTech

• Alpha variant: 92%
  • Delta variant: 79%

Oxford-AstraZeneca

• Alpha variant: 73%
  • Delta variant: 60%

Based on data in Scotland.

Source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext?utm_campaign=lancetcovid21&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edited by BenG

Popster This Way 585

post-covid tingz:

ok so like it's been three days since i left my 21-day quarantine and sis,,,the way I LOST MY SENSE OF SMELL!!!
i gots it back nauwh tho!!! still only at like 70% tho w h e w

• yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalisation

Pfizer-BioNTech

• Alpha variant
    • One dose: 83%
    • Two doses: 95%
  • Delta variant
    • One dose: 94%
    • Two doses: 96%

Oxford-AstraZeneca

• Alpha variant
    • One dose: 76%
    • Two doses: 86%
  • Delta variant
    • One dose: 71%
    • Two doses: 92%

Based on data in England.

Source: https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view_file/479607329?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_v2WsRK3ZlEig_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fkhub.net%3A443%2Fweb%2Fphe-national%2Fpublic-library%2F-%2Fdocument_library%2Fv2WsRK3ZlEig%2Fview%2F479607266

Edited by BenG
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster This Way 585
10 minutes ago, BenG said:
Spoiler

Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalisation

Pfizer-BioNTech

• Alpha variant
    • One dose: 83%
    • Two doses: 95%
  • Delta variant
    • One dose: 94%
    • Two doses: 96%

Oxford-AstraZeneca

• Alpha variant
    • One dose: 76%
    • Two doses: 86%
  • Delta variant
    • One dose: 71%
    • Two doses: 92%

Based on data in England.

Source: https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view_file/479607329?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_v2WsRK3ZlEig_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fkhub.net%3A443%2Fweb%2Fphe-national%2Fpublic-library%2F-%2Fdocument_library%2Fv2WsRK3ZlEig%2Fview%2F479607266

YAASSSS COME THROUGH VACCINES!!! THAT SECOND DOSE REALLY HARD CARRY UNF<<<

but also rip me apparently people who went through even mild covid bouts apparently get winded real hard by the second shot :weary: it's alg tho an excuse for me to eat ice cream !!!

• hugs 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

COVID-19 vaccine costs

• Oxford-AstraZeneca
    • US: $4
    • ^UK: $3
    • EU: $2.15
    • South Africa: $5.25
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
    • US: $19.50
    • UK: $21
    • ^EU: $14.70
    • Israel: $48
  • Moderna
    • ^US: $15
    • UK: $36
    • EU: $18
    • Israel: $23.50
  • Johnson & Johnson (NB single-dose vaccine)
    • ^US: $10
    • EU: $8.50
  • Novavax
    • US: $16

^ denotes countries/bloc that financially supported the development of the corresponding vaccine

Edited by BenG

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

The Delta variant now accounts for 10% of new cases in the US, and the number of cases is doubling roughly every two weeks.

44% of the population is fully vaccinated, 53% being at least partly vaccinated.

• sad 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

The Delta variant now accounts for 2% to 4% of new cases in France, up from 0.5% (based on a survey conducted on 25 May).

21% of the population is fully vaccinated, 45% being at least partly vaccinated.

Edited by BenG

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

UK vaccinations will slow down significantly due to a shortage of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Under 40s are not recommended to take the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, and the Moderna vaccine is in very limited supply, further exacerbating the vaccine shortage issue for newly eligible young adults.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

The UK has recently started the COV-Boost vaccine trial, which aims to study the use of a third booster vaccine.

The trial aims to investigate whether a third boost provides better protection, and it does not necessarily have to be the same vaccine as the first two doses.

Vaccines used in the trial:

• Oxford-AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Moderna
  • Janssen
  • Novavax
  • Valneva
  • CureVac
  • MenACWY (control)

The trial will also study the effects of half-dose Pfizer-BioNTech, Novavax and Valneva vaccines.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
1 minute ago, Nightwing said:

This is so bad. I don’t expect that number to even reach past 60% because there are way too many vaccine hesitant people in my country. Those idiots are only prolonging the pandemic and allowing for more deadly variants to form. I hate it here.

The disparity is huge between states. I think some are not even at 40% partly vaccinated.

Edited by BenG

The Fame Popster 382
On 6/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, Nightwing said:

Yes, it’s really crazy. Some are below 40% and some are above 70% so it depends on where one lives but overall it’s a shitty situation.

Yeah, in my state, less than half of the population has gotten at least one vaccine and only like 30% of people have gotten the second dose. And the republican government has also decided to not only lift the mask mandate, but ban local mandates and vaccine passports, which has only made the situation worse.

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
On 6/23/2021 at 1:10 PM, BenG said:

9-10% of new cases in France are of the Delta variant, up from 2-4% last week.

Up to 20% now

• shook 2