All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released

BenG

ARTPOPster 1,476
7 hours ago, Joannesrats said:

I foresee these processors changing the game quite a bit, especially if they use the 5nm technology from their mobile chips. I think Intel is still using 9nm so if Apple can make desktop-grade processors that have much more power available to them with better thermal reduction it'll be insane what they do. Now, that doesn't mean that they'll go that route. I think they'll be turning towards efficiency and low-heat output processors that keep the same level of performance rather than increasing performance 5x and still dealing with heat issues/high power consumption. 

The fact that they have a 10 core processor in a phone right now is absolutely wild. 

They're gonna use 5nm. Qualcomm is on the same page. Intel is becoming a dinosaur company tbh. 

Intel will still have the edge on high performance but Apple will easily knock the consumer level i5 out of the water for computers at a lower wattage. 

They'll focus on entry level consumer devices for now, I expect the high performance ones coming later. ARM is just not there yet. The only thing is developers better release ARM versions of apps soon because emulation is slower. 

Also, I know it sounds crazy that phones have 10 cores but remember that's different from 10 Intel cores. ARM has the bigLITTLE concept meaning some cores are much smaller. They're for use when the screen is locked and are much weaker and more efficient. Then there's 1 or 2 high performance cores. Intel, on the other hand, puts all equal cores in their processors but that's going to change too. :) 

• paws up 2

Community Leader 2,817
3 hours ago, derpmonster said:

They're gonna use 5nm. Qualcomm is on the same page. Intel is becoming a dinosaur company tbh. 

Intel will still have the edge on high performance but Apple will easily knock the consumer level i5 out of the water for computers at a lower wattage. 

They'll focus on entry level consumer devices for now, I expect the high performance ones coming later. ARM is just not there yet. The only thing is developers better release ARM versions of apps soon because emulation is slower. 

Also, I know it sounds crazy that phones have 10 cores but remember that's different from 10 Intel cores. ARM has the bigLITTLE concept meaning some cores are much smaller. They're for use when the screen is locked and are much weaker and more efficient. Then there's 1 or 2 high performance cores. Intel, on the other hand, puts all equal cores in their processors but that's going to change too. :) 

Oh I know the difference between the cores, but the architecture is mostly the same - very slight difference in build but still the same tech. 

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,476
2 hours ago, Joannesrats said:

Oh I know the difference between the cores, but the architecture is mostly the same - very slight difference in build but still the same tech. 

Yeah and it's interesting how sometimes they'll use older designs for the "cheaper" cores. You'd think the newest would be the most power-efficient but it's not necessarily cost-efficient.

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
44 minutes ago, paradox said:

The gold 12 looks so gorgeous online, but in all the unboxing videos I've seen it just looks white :gaga-scream:

It's extremely shiny in person. I've seen it but might look too plasticky for some.

• BenG changed the title to All Things : One more day. One more thing.
Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
1 minute ago, paradox said:

Lmao no I've not given Apple my coins since I bought the XR when it came out... But I do love keeping up with new releases etc :shakes:

The XR was the first battery beast for iPhones :shakes:

• yaas, gaga 1

• BenG changed the title to All Things : 10 a.m. PST - One more thing.
  • BenG changed the title to All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released