All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released

BenG

• 2 weeks later...
Popster to Popster 4,583

First of all, I do the peloton cycling classes and decided to try the Apple Fitness+ stuff since it's free for Apple Watch users for a bit and they tricked me. They put MANiCURE on one of the ride playlists so I thought it would be cute and then the gay leading the ride was fully insufferable. I feel betrayed and I am personally blaming Tim Cook for the bait and switch :lesson: 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:15 PM, BenG said:

The ear cushions are replaceable. Priced at $69.

MJ0J3?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op

Second of all, that's a fleshlight

• lol 1

Kindness Admin 6,892

I sorta wanna try fitness plus, but can’t imagine paying unless they come out with a better sub bundle. 

Did anyone but the AirPods Max? I won’t buy them, but in another life I would. Ha

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
50 minutes ago, admin said:

I sorta wanna try fitness plus, but can’t imagine paying unless they come out with a better sub bundle. 

Did anyone but the AirPods Max? I won’t buy them, but in another life I would. Ha

I have been thoroughly underwhelmed with Fitness+ so far but it might just be a lack of content and that they're a new platform.  Hopefully as it continues, it'll get better 😅

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
4 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

I have been thoroughly underwhelmed with Fitness+ so far but it might just be a lack of content and that they're a new platform.  Hopefully as it continues, it'll get better 😅

I think the Fitness+ target audience is for those who never work out or only work out for a bit. I guess the goal is like the rings, to motivate people to move their bodies a bit everyday. Will try the Fitness+ too since I bought a Watch SE.

• paws up 1

• BenG changed the title to All Things : AirPods Max - $549
Popster to Popster 4,583
8 hours ago, BenG said:

I think the Fitness+ target audience is for those who never work out or only work out for a bit. I guess the goal is like the rings, to motivate people to move their bodies a bit everyday. Will try the Fitness+ too since I bought a Watch SE.

I think that's fair.

And honestly most of my issues are probably just down to personal taste and hangups.  The instructors I've seen have a personality that remind me too much of a used car/timeshare salesman and the direction/video work seems to mirror children's television in a way that I can't put my finger on but always makes it feel strange.

I don't know anyone else who has tried it though so I'd be happy to her what someone else thinks!

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
10 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

I think that's fair.

And honestly most of my issues are probably just down to personal taste and hangups.  The instructors I've seen have a personality that remind me too much of a used car/timeshare salesman and the direction/video work seems to mirror children's television in a way that I can't put my finger on but always makes it feel strange.

I don't know anyone else who has tried it though so I'd be happy to her what someone else thinks!

What do you think would be a fair price?

Popster to Popster 4,583
19 minutes ago, BenG said:

What do you think would be a fair price?

That's hard to say.  I think that depends entirely on the frequency of new workouts and I don't have any sort of feel for that.  I was surprised how bare-bones it was but it just started and I'm used to Peloton which has a mature pipeline that pumps out dozens of videos every week.  I probably won't have a feel for that for another month or so.

In general, because it already requires an iPhone and an Apple Watch, I don't think I would ever consider paying more than the $10/month it is right now and even that seems steep considering the competition and proprietary technology requirements.  To me, it makes a lot more sense as a part of Apple One or other bundles with AM. (For comparison, the Peloton app is $12.99/month and doesn't require any additional equipment, you can add things like heart rate monitors or cadence sensors but don't need them.  Obviously for cycling you need a bike, but you can use any bike not just theirs)

At the same time, for people that already have an Apple Watch and are just using it for motivation/stats/gamification of workouts I think it's accessible and at least worth a shot.

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
5 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

That's hard to say.  I think that depends entirely on the frequency of new workouts and I don't have any sort of feel for that.  I was surprised how bare-bones it was but it just started and I'm used to Peloton which has a mature pipeline that pumps out dozens of videos every week.  I probably won't have a feel for that for another month or so.

In general, because it already requires an iPhone and an Apple Watch, I don't think I would ever consider paying more than the $10/month it is right now and even that seems steep considering the competition and proprietary technology requirements.  To me, it makes a lot more sense as a part of Apple One or other bundles with AM. (For comparison, the Peloton app is $12.99/month and doesn't require any additional equipment, you can add things like heart rate monitors or cadence sensors but don't need them.  Obviously for cycling you need a bike, but you can use any bike not just theirs)

At the same time, for people that already have an Apple Watch and are just using it for motivation/stats/gamification of workouts I think it's accessible and at least worth a shot.

With the annual subscription and Family Sharing, I think the price might be compelling to some.

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
4 minutes ago, BenG said:

With the annual subscription and Family Sharing, I think the price might be compelling to some.

For sure, and I think one thing that doesn't matter to me but is important to a lot of other people for simplicity is that it's already built directly into the Apple Ecosystem so they don't even need to think about it.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

I worked out using my iPad Pro 10.5-in (2017) and Apple Watch SE.

My iPad had problems finding my Watch, so I had to uninstall the Fitness app, log out of iCloud, log back in and re-install the Fitness app. What happened to "It just works", Apple? :fall:

Loved the UI on the screen during workouts. You have your stats/vitals that are usually on your Watch displayed on the top left corner, and your Activity rings on the top right. I particularly liked this because I don't have to keep checking out my watch during the workout. Animation for closing your rings appear during the workout, which is a nice touch. There's also a Burn Bar, which shows how you are doing compared to other users, normalised to your weight, sex, etc. This can be some healthy competition but you have the option to turn it off and opt out from contributing as a statistic.

Music playlists were pretty good too. (@admin they had the most impactful country after the U.S., aka Jolene, in one of my workouts today.) Instructors can be a bit too cheerful lol and they also add in cheer noises(?). YMMV.

Overall, It's a no-brainer if your family is in the Apple ecosystem and you're trying to get into home workouts. The AirPods, Watch and iPad work seamlessly together. You can just tap on any of the devices to start/pause/resume. I would pay only maybe £5/month as an individual but with the annual subscription, Family Sharing, Apple One, it becomes a really compelling option.I'm sure the programme will evolve to become more comprehensive and this is a good start. COVID-19 has also provided an opportunity for Apple to jumpstart this service. It will probably not dominate the market but should give Apple a sizeable chunk of it, just like Apple Music. Fitness+ and Apple Watch will sell more of each other for years to come.

Edited by BenG
  • paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
11 minutes ago, BenG said:

Music playlists were pretty good too. (@admin they had the most impactful country after the U.S., aka Jolene, in one of my workouts today.) Instructors can be a bit too cheerful lol and they also add in cheer noises(?). YMMV.

Gagged.

Maybe I'll try it out, I literally haven't moved today.

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
14 minutes ago, BenG said:

I worked out using my iPad Pro 10.5-in (2017) and Apple Watch SE.

My iPad had problems finding my Watch, so I had to uninstall the Fitness app, log out of iCloud, log back in and re-install the Fitness app. What happened to "It just works", Apple? :fall:

Loved the UI on the screen during workouts. You have your stats/vitals that are usually on your Watch displayed on the top left corner, and your Activity rings on the top right. I particularly liked this because I don't have to keep checking out my watch during the workout. Animation for closing your rings appear during the workout, which is a nice touch. There's also a Burn Bar, which shows how you are doing compared to other users, normalised to your weight, sex, etc. This can be some healthy competition but you have the option to turn it off and opt out from contributing as a statistic.

Overall, It's a no-brainer if your family is in the Apple ecosystem and you're trying to get into home workouts. The AirPods, Watch and iPad work seamlessly together. You can just tap on any of the devices to start/pause/resume. I would pay only maybe £5/month as an individual but with the annual subscription, Family Sharing, Apple One, it becomes a really compelling option.I'm sure the programme will evolve to become more comprehensive and this is a good start. COVID-19 has also provided an opportunity for Apple to jumpstart this service. It will probably not dominate the market but should give Apple a sizeable chunk of it, just like Apple Music. Fitness+ and Apple Watch will sell more of each other for years to come.

FWIW the issue with fitness apps not being able to connect with the watch is a problem across the board, not just with Fitness+.  When I've had that happen, restarting the watch or my phone (or both) usually resolves it for me.

But I agree that the UI is great within the videos and the music selections seem stellar!

Who knew that Apple would turn Popa911 into a bunch of 80s work out ladies

spacer.png

• lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
2 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

FWIW the issue with fitness apps not being able to connect with the watch is a problem across the board, not just with Fitness+.  When I've had that happen, restarting the watch or my phone (or both) usually resolves it for me.

But I agree that the UI is great within the videos and the music selections seem stellar!

Who knew that Apple would turn Popa911 into a bunch of 80s work out ladies

spacer.png

Apple needs to sort out the iCloud accounts tbh. Handoff is not working properly, I still can’t unlock my notes using the Watch and unlocking my Mac using Watch stopped working after upgrading to Big Sur.

Fitness+ will look really good if you have an Apple TV. This service will complement the Activity rings really well to motivate people to get moving, small steps at a time. 

• paws up 2

• BenG changed the title to All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released