All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released

BenG

The Fame Popster 401
On 3/24/2021 at 1:57 AM, BenG said:

The first version of Mac OS X (later renamed OS X, now macOS), "Cheetah" was launched 20 years ago today.

My family had the last Mac able to boot into classic Mac OS (the Power Mac G4 based on design) and it still ran classic Mac OS in 2008 when we finally sent it out to pasture (...somewhere in the attic). 

spacer.png

• paws up 3
  • lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
5 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

Did the most recent iOS security update do weird things to anyone else?  It set my weather settings to Celsius and totally broke the automatically created folders in the app library.  Now every app I've downloaded is in an "Other" folder and everything else is mismatched and useless.  I'm very confused 

Works fine for me.

Siri knows the superior temperature unit wbk :billiecat:

• BenG changed the title to All things : Apple announces WWDC 2021 (June 7-11)
Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Apple has announced that the WWDC this year will be held from June 7 to 11. It will again be all-online, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

ezgif-7-4f414ce91341.gif

Newsroom: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/03/apples-worldwide-developers-conference-is-back-in-its-all-online-format/

WWDC link: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/

Edited by BenG
  • paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583
1 hour ago, BenG said:

Apple has announced that the WWDC this year will be held from June 7 to 11. It will again be all-online, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

ezgif-7-4f414ce91341.gif

Newsroom: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/03/apples-worldwide-developers-conference-is-back-in-its-all-online-format/

WWDC link: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/

What sort of stuff comes from WWDC? Is it mostly software or is hardware ever in the mix?

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
24 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

What sort of stuff comes from WWDC? Is it mostly software or is hardware ever in the mix?

Usually the different OSes. Occasionally some hardware.

Edited by BenG
  • paws up 2

• BenG changed the title to All things : Happy 45th birthday, Apple!
Kindness Admin 6,892
On 3/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, NotDoctor said:

Yeah, they outline this years OS releases like Miss BenG said. They also will sometimes preview larger, developer-focused updates. In the past things like the Mac Pros have been previewed, the new programming language Swift and some other tidbits. This year will likely remain OS-focused, but there is a change we'll get some Apple silicon news or MAYBE a hint towards their AR/VR future, but that'll probably be a 2022 announcement in the summer.

Lately, they've been pushing larger, more structural changes to iPad software in a two year cadence and this year we are due for another one. Since the coming soon iPad Pros are rumored to be about as powerful as the insane silicon MacBook Air and Pro - I think we're going to see even more Mac-like capabilities and for Apple to finally bring their pro tools to iPad. What I really want is Xcode and development support on iPad so I can really ditch laptops and go all iPad in the future (plus Apple desktops of course).

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Apple has announced that it is opening up the Find My network to third-party accessories. Lost Mode is also extended to third-party accessories. An accessory put in Lock Mode cannot be paired to another device. Third parties will also have access to the U1 chips that can be found in the newer iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/04/apples-find-my-network-now-offers-new-third-party-finding-experiences/

Edited by BenG

• BenG changed the title to All things : Apple extends Find My to 3rd-party accessories
Popster to Popster 3,689

@BenG (or anyone else) thoughts on Apple’s covid exposure notification? It just popped up on my phone and I don’t know what to think about it or if I should enable alerts. Is it useful? :uhh:

Edited by NYNJ Nights

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
3 minutes ago, NYNJ Nights said:

@BenG (or anyone else) thoughts on Apple’s covid exposure notification? It just popped up on my phone and I don’t know what to think about it or if I should enable alerts. Is it useful? :uhh:

It’s from your local health authority’s app, right?

Popster to Popster 3,689
3 minutes ago, BenG said:

It’s from your local health authority’s app, right?

Yeah looks like somehow it connects to that data and if anyone was identified as positive then Apple will let you know without revealing identities 

Popster to Popster 4,583
2 hours ago, NYNJ Nights said:

It always scares me when it pops up to tell me it exists 😂

I've never had any possibly contact alerts though 

• shook 1
  • lol 1

• BenG changed the title to All things : First 2021 Apple Event (20 Apr)
Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Siri "accidentally" leaked the date of the next Apple Event. The same happened in 2016 when Siri leaked the date of the WWDC.

20 April 2021. See you there.

• paws up 1

• BenG changed the title to All things : Apple Event on 20 Apr 2021
  • BenG changed the title to All things : Apple Event (Apr 20) - Spring Loaded.
  • BenG changed the title to All things : Spring Loaded event in 4 hours (10 a.m. PDT)
Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Just over 4 hours to go till the first Apple Event of 2021.

app-covers-apple-outline.mp4

iMac? iPad? AirTag? Apple Podcast+? Stay tuned.

• BenG changed the title to All things : Spring Loaded in 1 hour (10 a.m. PDT)
  • BenG changed the title to All things : New iPad and iPad Pro released