All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588

THATS MY SENATOR :bradley:...already looking like he’s changing his mind on the filibuster and giving the GOP a fair warning not to f- around...

@Starboy @admin @Twitter @NotDoctor @blankpaper @blue @WildAmerican @Joannesrats @Joesuda @NYNJ Nights 

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • yaas, gaga 1

Moderator 3,690
1 hour ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

THATS MY SENATOR :bradley:...already looking like he’s changing his mind on the filibuster and giving the GOP a fair warning not to f- around...

@Starboy @admin @Twitter @NotDoctor @blankpaper @blue @WildAmerican @Joannesrats @Joesuda @NYNJ Nights 

I am not an American, but I followed the US elections closely and due to it am quite knowledgeable of the US political landscape. Here are my 2 cents (mainly from an election strategy point).

• If the democrats are going to get rid of the filibuster then it probably should be with an extremely popular bill that the republicans are opposing (maybe Marijuana legalisation or something else). If the majority of the population support a bill that is being blocked then it becomes easier to justify the removal of the filibuster.
  • If the Dems are going to get rid of it then they should do it by the end of the year. This gives them time to pass more policies and good policies will reduce the likelyhood of there being an extreme pushback by the voters in 2022.
  • 2022 will be a weird year in the sense that the likelyhood of Dems holding the Senate will be larger than holding the house as the Senate map is quite favourable to the Dems. This idea gives more strength to removing the filibuster as the dems can benefit from it more (or for a longer time at least).
  • paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
2 hours ago, Joesuda said:

I am not an American, but I followed the US elections closely and due to it am quite knowledgeable of the US political landscape. Here are my 2 cents (mainly from an election strategy point).

• If the democrats are going to get rid of the filibuster then it probably should be with an extremely popular bill that the republicans are opposing (maybe Marijuana legalisation or something else). If the majority of the population support a bill that is being blocked then it becomes easier to justify the removal of the filibuster.
  • If the Dems are going to get rid of it then they should do it by the end of the year. This gives them time to pass more policies and good policies will reduce the likelyhood of there being an extreme pushback by the voters in 2022.
  • 2022 will be a weird year in the sense that the likelyhood of Dems holding the Senate will be larger than holding the house as the Senate map is quite favourable to the Dems. This idea gives more strength to removing the filibuster as the dems can benefit from it more (or for a longer time at least).

The only thing I will say to that, is that for some reason - with the exception of the Georgia senate races - holding/gaining senate seats has been incredibly illusive for the dems even when conditions favor them.  In 2016, 2018 and 2020 there were multiple senate seats that should have flipped or stayed blue but didn't, so I'm reticent to make any big assumptions about that. But it would be nice to see! Truly if we can get up to 52 senate seats, I think it's a whole different ball game because it negates people like Manchin entirely 

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588
3 hours ago, Joesuda said:

12 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

The only thing I will say to that, is that for some reason - with the exception of the Georgia senate races - holding/gaining senate seats has been incredibly illusive for the dems even when conditions favor them.  In 2016, 2018 and 2020 there were multiple senate seats that should have flipped or stayed blue but didn't, so I'm reticent to make any big assumptions about that. But it would be nice to see! Truly if we can get up to 52 senate seats, I think it's a whole different ball game because it negates people like Manchin entirely 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/03/03/politics/2022-senate-race-rankings/index.html

FYI CNN has a ranking of the Top 10 Most Competitive Senate races of 2022!!!!! Figured I would share! They’re seemingly keeping it updated too as things change and 2022 gets closer and races become more concrete 

Maybe I’ll update the OP and make a list of every senate seat up for grabs in 2022 and keep an ongoing list of “people to watch” in those races or whatnot...I’ll have to think about this put I would like to update the OP at some point with something of a little more substance.

Maybe I’ll make that my weekend project :really:

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Moderator 3,690
18 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

2016 was a presidential election year and Trump's surprise win helped to propel some Republican senators over the finish line that weren't expected. Usually if a GOP/DEM president wins the state then the state will elect a GOP/DEM senator (there are a few exceptions, but this is becoming the norm). This meant that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania senate seats stayed in the hands of the GOP. However, 2016 was still a net pick-up in the Senate for the dems. 

2018 was not that favourable of a year towards the democrats in the Senate though? Most of the seats up for re-election were held by the democrats and they won the democratic leaning states and lost the republican leaning states.

In the 2022 senate elections the two seats democrats are the most in danger of losing are a Georgia and Arizona seat. However both of these states have been trending blue and they will have an incumbency advantage there. The GOP are holding a Wisconsin and Pennsylvania seat and both of these states are usually blue so they are good pick up opportunities for the Dems. The Pennsylvania seat is especially in play, the current GOP senator is retiring and a popular Democratic candidate is running there (John Fetterman).

Edited by Joesuda
  • paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
1 hour ago, Joesuda said:

2016 was a presidential election year and Trump's surprise win helped to propel some Republican senators over the finish line that weren't expected. Usually if a GOP/DEM president wins the state then the state will elect a GOP/DEM senator (there are a few exceptions, but this is becoming the norm). This meant that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania senate seats stayed in the hands of the GOP. However, 2016 was still a net pick-up in the Senate for the dems. 

2018 was not that favourable of a year towards the democrats in the Senate though? Most of the seats up for re-election were held by the democrats and they won the democratic leaning states and lost the republican leaning states.

In the 2022 senate elections the two seats democrats are the most in danger of losing are a Georgia and Arizona seat. However both of these states have been trending blue and they will have an incumbency advantage there. The GOP are holding a Wisconsin and Pennsylvania seat and both of these states are usually blue so they are good pick up opportunities for the Dems. The Pennsylvania seat is especially in play, the current GOP senator is retiring and a popular Democratic candidate is running there (John Fetterman).

I'm very involved with this stuff so trust me I know, I lived it.  Especially as a PA resident, I'm all too familiar with what happened and why.  I'm just saying that the Dems under-performed everything I saw from conventional wisdom to political journalism, polling, etc.  Maybe it was naive but I had hopes that the political winds that fueled the so-called "blue wave" in the house could have more more tangible impact on the senate races in 2018 but it didn't seem to, although I guess that's difficult to exactly quantify.  Also with the way GOP controlled legislatures around the country are trying to restrict voting, nothing is guaranteed here even under the best conditions; it's significantly more complicated than that.

51 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Oh My God Omg GIF

I'm afraid to get my hopes up but that's really exciting!

Edited by NotDoctor
  • yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

Supposedly Biden’s open to getting rid of the filibuster now :bradley:

https://www.axios.com/biden-filibuster-agenda-history-05be3812-6ee0-414b-ae71-b6dfa37d8df4.html?fbclid=IwAR1uObia7YuqZgr-EG-iG5gAxk6RVBxG9hbo3jwGyt00euJha9OQMOuGGjg

“People close to Biden tell us he’s feeling bullish on what he can accomplish, and is fully prepared to support the dashing of the Senate’s filibuster rule to allow Democrats to pass voting rights and other trophy legislation for his party.”

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
12 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

https://www.axios.com/biden-filibuster-agenda-history-05be3812-6ee0-414b-ae71-b6dfa37d8df4.html?fbclid=IwAR1uObia7YuqZgr-EG-iG5gAxk6RVBxG9hbo3jwGyt00euJha9OQMOuGGjg

“People close to Biden tell us he’s feeling bullish on what he can accomplish, and is fully prepared to support the dashing of the Senate’s filibuster rule to allow Democrats to pass voting rights and other trophy legislation for his party.”

If the filibuster does go down, I really hope they can get at least a first step at overhauling the federal judiciary through too 🤞 Add more judges from SCOTUS on down 

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588
2 hours ago, blankpaper said:

freaking out GIF

BORDER UPDATE: 

.....as if we needed anymore proof Trump is mostly to blame about what’s going on at the border :katy:

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588

Manchin releases statement on FOR THE PEOPLE ACT...only democrat who hasn’t co-signed the bill...:katy:

"Pushing through legislation of this magnitude on a partisan basis may garner short-term benefits, but will inevitably only exacerbate the distrust that millions of Americans harbor against the U.S. government."

"There are some legitimate concerns about the implementation of the For the People Act, especially in rural areas....With that in mind, there are bipartisan proposals embedded in this bill that can strike the right balance"

• shook 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588

In his first formal news conference since taking office, President Biden spent over an hour today fielding questions from the press on topics ranging from immigration to the rollout of the Covid-19 vaccines. 

Here are some of the most important lines on topics Biden did discuss:

On immigration: Biden claimed the current surge in migrants at the US southern border is not unprecedented. "Truth of the matter is nothing has changed. ... As many people came, 28% increase in the children in the border in my administration, 31% in the last year in 2019 before the pandemic in the Trump administration. It happens every single solitary year," he said. Biden said he wants to rebuild the immigration system, adding that the US is sending back the "vast majority" of families showing up at the border.

On unaccompanied children at the border: "The idea that I'm going to say, which I would never do, if an unaccompanied child ends up at the border we're going to let them starve to death and stay on the other side, no previous administration did that either, except Trump. I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to do it," Biden said.

On the conditions at a border protection facility in Texas: "[W]e're going to be moving a thousand of those kids out quickly. That's why I got Fort Bliss opened up. That's why I've been working from the moment this started happening to try to find additional access for children to be able to safely, not just children, but particularly children to be able to safely be housed while we follow through on the rest of what's happening," Biden said. The President called conditions at packed migrant facilities such as the one in Donna, Texas, that houses migrant children "totally unacceptable."

On administering the Covid-19 vaccines: Biden formally said his administration has set a new goal to get 200 million coronavirus vaccine doses into arms by his 100th day in office. "I know it's ambitious. Twice our original goal. But no other country in the world has even come close, not even close, to what we are doing. I believe we can do it," Biden said.

On reopening schools around the country: Biden cited a report out this week from the Department of Education that shows nearly half of K-8 schools are open – a step toward his goal of getting a majority of K-8 schools fully open in the first 100 days. “[W]e’re really close, and I believe in the 35 days left to go we’ll meet that goal as well,” Biden said.

On stimulus payments : "As of yesterday more than 100 million payments of $1,400 have gone into people's bank accounts. That's real money in people's pockets bringing relief instantly, almost. And millions more will be getting their money very soon," Biden said. Approximately 127 million stimulus payments worth around $325 billion have been sent to Americans under the American Rescue Plan, the Biden administration announced Wednesday.

On infrastructure : Biden said he expects to announce his next major initiative on Friday in Pittsburgh that will aim to rebuild the "both physical and technological infrastructure in this country so we can compete and create significant numbers of really good-paying jobs."

On filibuster reform : Biden expressed support for filibuster reform, suggesting he was willing to bend or even abolish the arcane Senate rule on certain issues, in order to accomplish his agenda. The President first said he believed senators ought to have to hold the floor in order to delay action in the Senate. The filibuster is being "abused in a gigantic way," Biden added.

On running for reelection in 2024: "Yes, my plan is to run for reelection. That's my expectation," Biden said.

More for details see below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/politics/live-news/joe-biden-news-conference-03-25-21/index.html

• thanks 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸Politics: Biden Holds First Press Conference
Pop-a-911-ster 32,588
24 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

missed the press conference, was the media as annoying to Biden as they are to Psaki :eyega:

They asked more questions about him and/or Trump rerunning in 2024 than about the pandemic and his infrastructure plan so take that as you will :laughga:

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 4,420
51 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

They asked more questions about him and/or Trump rerunning in 2024 than about the pandemic and his infrastructure plan so take that as you will :laughga:

that's about what I expected. glad to see they wasted this opportunity they've been b*ching about for a month:icant:

• lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588

“ Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, said that legislation was necessary to make permanent changes. But she also suggested that the executive actions under consideration could be a realistic starting place.

For now, administration officials have been reaching out to Democrats in the Senate to consult with them about three executive actions. One would classify as firearms so-called ghost guns — kits that allow a gun to be assembled from pieces. Another would fund community violence intervention programs, and the third would strengthen the background checks system, according to congressional aides familiar with the conversations.

Aware that any executive actions on guns will face legal challenges, the White House Counsel’s Office has also been vetting those actions to make sure they can withstand judicial review, officials said. “

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,588
18 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

that's about what I expected. glad to see they wasted this opportunity they've been b*ching about for a month:icant:

2:54 through 3:38.....

does Kaitlin Collins really think any single American cares RIGHT NOW if Kamala Harris is gonna be on the ticket in 4 years or whether or not Biden THINKS he’s gonna be running against Trump.....:laughga: like oh my god....

also Biden’s sarcastic ol  “my predecessor...god I miss him” :laughga:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,420
3 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

2:54 through 3:38.....

does Kaitlin Collins really think any single American cares RIGHT NOW if Kamala Harris is gonna be on the ticket.....:laughga: like oh my god....

also Biden’s sarcastic ol  “my predecessor...god I miss him” :laughga:

omg even he knows these questions are ridiculous.:eyega:

The thing about asking him if he's running in 2024 is that even if he wasn't planning on running for re-election, he would NOT say it this early bc everyone would declare him a lame duck. Same thing with the Kamala question, even if they weren't getting along and he was thinking about replacing her, he would never say it publically bc that would start a media firestorm. It's simple politics lol

c'mon ppl

• paws up 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal