All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

Biden releases statement on GA Voting Bill that was just passed following the 2020 election...I don’t know if y’all saw this but a state representative in GA was arrested last night for KNOCKING ON THE DOOR of the Governor’s office while he signed the bill :whatga:...is the US TRYING to look like a 3rd world country or what...this is so disgusting.

ALSO while we are talking about her, Rep Omar visited the border and spoke on it, as someone who came to the US via Asylum I thought her words were very powerful so I wanted to share this....

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
5 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

This Georgia bullshit is so infuriating

madeline kahn flames GIF

Watching that video above of the State legislator getting ARRESTED because she wants answers from the Governor is DISGUSTING and it honestly makes me feel like I’m watching sh!t out of another country...like...what the f-, this is not what the US stands for...I absolutely hate it.  

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

Good afternoon you guys :) just wanted to give ya a heads up letting you know that TODAY I updated the OP with 2022 Senate Race Map/Outlook!!!

I put a lot of time into it and I hope you guys like it and get something out of it! Have a great day yall :kiss:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1
  • shook 1
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, the No. 3 Democrat, said the For the People Act is "essential to making sure our democracy stays a democracy" and added she'll consider exemptions to the filibuster to pass it.

“For The People Act” has passed the House. Democrats don’t have Senate unity yet—Manchin has complicated feelings about it. They have a path to 50 but not 60 votes, with GOP determined to oppose.

This will be a big test of the filibuster.

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK...hopefully this doesn’t end up like Trump’s....reference below:

https://theweek.com/articles/839005/all-infrastructure-weeks-ranked

:icant:

• paws up 1
  • shook 1
  • lol 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸Politics: Infrastructure Week!!!
Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
1 minute ago, Twitter said:

I just read up on this and deadass thought the same thing! But I’m interested to see what Biden can do (differently). 

spacer.png

I think the difference is that Biden is actually serious about infrastructure and intent on making it his next piece of legislation while Trump was always willing to throw it out the window for the next soundbite interview he could do 

Donald Trump Infrastructure GIF by GIPHY News

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

Biden having good ratings on economic issues but not doing too hot on the broader cultural issues such as gun control and Immigration.

Gun control....MAYBE he can get something passed but I fear most legislative efforts except background checks (IF THAT) would fail without major filibuster reform...though the administration has said gun control EOs are in the works.

Immigration....I don’t even know what he could do legislatively, probably nothing with the 60 vote threshold so...:katy: ekk

Kindness Admin 6,892
2 hours ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK...hopefully this doesn’t end up like Trump’s....reference below:

https://theweek.com/articles/839005/all-infrastructure-weeks-ranked

:icant:

2 hours ago, Twitter said:

I just read up on this and deadass thought the same thing! But I’m interested to see what Biden can do (differently). 

spacer.png

Too depressing to even think about sometimes. If they pass anything through reconciliation - does that mean it can only be law for a year?

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
10 minutes ago, admin said:

Too depressing to even think about sometimes. If they pass anything through reconciliation - does that mean it can only be law for a year?

No no no not at all, something passed through reconciliation just has to I think in some way impact the federal Budget. Obama passed the ACA through reconciliation and Trump passed his 2017 tax law through this process

Check this site out

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2021/02/05/what-is-reconciliation-in-congress/amp/

in terms of what Biden plans to do “differently” regarding this bill is actually viewed as a very progressive and liberal ambition....

“The second component of the effort would include many of Biden’s other domestic priorities. Those include universal prekindergarten and free community college tuition. The package also would dramatically expand spending on child care, and extend for several years the expansion of the child tax credit recently signed into law for just one year as part of the stimulus plan.”

:oscar: granted, more details will come regarding this second part of the infrastructure in April but this is the tea as of now 

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
10 minutes ago, Delusional said:

So it’s been nearly a month since it was announced they have started the process of rejoining the Paris agreement, has there been any progress because I believe it was said to take a month ?

Hey delusional, thanks for checking in here! :love: this is the latest article I found from February, feel free to check it out below, to answer your question I know the US is OFFICIALLY back in the Paris Agreement. That step of the process is done.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2021/02/04/u-s-rejoins-paris-agreement/

I posted a quote from the article below that partly discusses the US and their engagement in the Paris Agreement now that they’ve re-entered and the article goes further into which steps Biden may tackle here in the US.

President Biden has mapped out an infrastructure bill that has two parts, the first focusing on roads, bridges, and CLEAN ENERGY and CLEAN ENERGY JOBS. He has also pledged to cut emissions from electricity to zero by 2035, and to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. :oscar:

“We pushed really hard to encourage countries to increase ambition and join the Paris Agreement and we negotiated that agreement diligently and in good faith,” she said. “But because of the Trump administration, the U.S. literally walked away from the Paris Agreement, didn’t uphold any of its commitments on climate finance or in terms of domestic action. So we’re not coming to foreign policy from a position of strength right now. To me, the most important step is an intensive effort on domestic policy and getting our own house in order, and that would then put us in a much better position in terms of our foreign policy on climate.”

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
21 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Hey delusional, thanks for checking in here! :love: this is the latest article I found from February, feel free to check it out below, to answer your question I know the US is OFFICIALLY back in the Paris Agreement. That step of the process is done.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2021/02/04/u-s-rejoins-paris-agreement/

I posted a quote from the article below that partly discusses the US and their engagement in the Paris Agreement now that they’ve re-entered and the article goes further into which steps Biden may tackle here in the US.

President Biden has mapped out an infrastructure bill that has two parts, the first focusing on roads, bridges, and CLEAN ENERGY and CLEAN ENERGY JOBS. He has also pledged to cut emissions from electricity to zero by 2035, and to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. :oscar:

“We pushed really hard to encourage countries to increase ambition and join the Paris Agreement and we negotiated that agreement diligently and in good faith,” she said. “But because of the Trump administration, the U.S. literally walked away from the Paris Agreement, didn’t uphold any of its commitments on climate finance or in terms of domestic action. So we’re not coming to foreign policy from a position of strength right now. To me, the most important step is an intensive effort on domestic policy and getting our own house in order, and that would then put us in a much better position in terms of our foreign policy on climate.”

Thanks! I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out on the decarbonization piece of the infrastructure plan. The future is electrification but we need more investment in charging stations and incentives for electric vehicles both on the consumer and manufacturer end. Some states offer good rebates and tax credits and car manufacturers are starting to invest in electric fleets, but we lost a lot of ground during the Trump administration after the fuel efficiency progress under Obama

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
6 hours ago, Delusional said:

Wow !! Brilliant news. Thank you for explaining it for me, do you think if the republicans are re-elected they will leave again? 

Also, Joe seems to be getting stuff done but it’s all either done at a snail pace or completely half assed if that’s the right term. I’m not sure though I’ve not been tracking his presidency too much as I live in the U.K. 

Passing substantial legislation in a 50-50 senate in the current US political climate is VERY DIFFICULT. Biden has signed more executive orders than any President in their first 100 days and he managed to pass a 1.9T stimulus bill through Congress in his 70 days...pretty massive when you think about it like that.

He is able to use senate tools and processes to pass things affecting the budget, which is why he focused on stimulus relief first and now infrastructure/“care economy/clean jobs with his second piece, because it is something he can eventually pass without Republican support.

To pass any sort of Voting Rights, gun rights, immigration reform, equality act, police reform, and many other things he would need 10 GOP senators to come over and vote with the Dems (NEVER HAPPENING) or elimination of the filibuster, which is the 60 vote threshold to pass most legislation.

PERSONALLY, I think Biden is doing really well and focusing on things he knows he can get accomplished and trying to not get too bogged down he things he knows he can’t accomplish right now.

Senator Chris Murphy (D) is hopeful they can get some sort of universal background check bill passed for guns but we shall see, I don’t think there is much hope for other things without eliminating or reforming the filibuster.

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,718
Pop-a-911-ster 32,718

AK just passed a law that allows medical workers to refuse treatment to LGBTQ+....absolutely sickening and if you ever needed a reason not to live in this GOD FORSAKEN state I think this is it.

this is so disgusting.....

Edit: @lavenderblondee please let me know if you don’t want to be tagged in these update posts that I make sometimes and I can take you off the list, I just noticed you being active in the thread lately so I tagged you in the latest post :love:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • shook 3
  • sad 2

Popster to Popster 4,420
Just now, MANiCURE1295 said:

AK just passed a law that allows medical workers to refuse treatment to LGBTQ+....absolutely sickening and if you ever needed a reason not to live in this GOD FORSAKEN state I think this is it.

a flop irrelevant state wbk 

• yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,889
25 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Edit: @lavenderblondee please let me know if you don’t want to be tagged in these update posts that I make sometimes and I can take you off the list, I just noticed you being active in the thread lately so I tagged you in the latest post :love:

It's 2021 and this sh is still happening. JUST HOW. WHY?

I lived in delusion for a while back in the day saying that racism, homophobia, hate and such will die with the current generation but the seed is so deeply rooted, that isn't happening. I feel like we're only going backwards lately.  This is so disgusting and disturbing.

Thanks for tagging me @MANiCURE1295 I appreciate it. :sistrens:

• paws up 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal