All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Kindness Admin 6,892
Just now, blankpaper said:

Would the loan forgiveness apply to everyone or would there be some sort of threshold where you have to owe more than that to get it? 

My understanding from my friends is it would any federal loan you owe up to 50k. I don't think there are any thresholds. Although they may check your salary and taper down for people earning like 150k+ or something.

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709

I’ve always DESPISED this man......what a nasty, disgusting man......if this is all true I hope he gets what’s coming to him...:stopga:

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709

Feb 21 — 379K jobs added

Mar 21 — 916K jobs added

Total Jobs added — 1.295M

1.295M  jobs added since Biden took office, and this is before his massive jobs package, and remember the COVID relief wasn’t signed until 3/11 so the effects of that will still be felt in the coming months.

Unemployment down from 6.2% to 6% :oscar:

• paws up 4
  • yaas, gaga 2

Kindness Admin 6,892
20 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Feb 21 — 379K jobs added

Mar 21 — 916K jobs added

Total Jobs added — 1.295M

1.295M  jobs added since Biden took office, and this is before his massive jobs package, and remember the COVID relief wasn’t signed until 3/11 so the effects of that will still be felt in the coming months.

Unemployment down from 6.2% to 6% :oscar:

He doesn't really deserve any credit for that methinks, but happy to see it!

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709
2 minutes ago, admin said:

He doesn't really deserve any credit for that methinks, but happy to see it!

Yeah I wasn’t trying to give him credit other than saying this is how many jobs have been added since he took office. That’s why I said that the COVID package wasn’t signed until 3/11 so the effects wouldn’t be felt until later months/jobs reports.

I was more sharing this because it shows how much of an upward trend we are on

Though to be fair if we maintained the February pace it would’ve taken 4 years to ge to pre pandemic levels of jobs and there were many Republicans happy to see no relief being sent out, and there’s no telling how Trump would’ve continue to mishandle the virus, regardless though you are right! This is more due to increased vaccination and slowly getting back to normal 

Very interested to see this trend continue to rise!

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583

I've only been keeping up in so far as every New Yorker I know f-ing hates Yang and they all just sh!t on him constantly :dead:. I don't even know who else is running tbh

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709
1 hour ago, NYNJ Nights said:

Glad to see the sports world protesting against the election rule changes in Georgia:

2 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Let’s hope it helps put pressure on Georgia but I honestly don’t think it will. I know Republicans care strongly about business interests but they can just do what they did to American Airlines and cut their subsidies. I’m not sure if the MLB receives financial assistance from the state but they could do something similar to retaliate.

I have Pro Trump family who live right on the Georgia line near Tennessee and they’re been AWFULLY quiet about this :icant:

Literally posted about this exact situation in our family chat yesterday and none of them responded.....I find it so pathetic honestly, anyone who supports this new voting law should be ashamed of themselves.

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583
42 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Terrible idea. We shouldn’t even have vaccine passports in the first place.

The idea of just letting the private sector do this is so enraging.  Especially with tech companies' track record with user privacy 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,689
9 hours ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

I have Pro Trump family who live right on the Georgia line near Tennessee and they’re been AWFULLY quiet about this :icant:

Literally posted about this exact situation in our family chat yesterday and none of them responded.....I find it so pathetic honestly, anyone who supports this new voting law should be ashamed of themselves.

9 hours ago, Starboy said:

Let’s hope it helps put pressure on Georgia but I honestly don’t think it will. I know Republicans care strongly about business interests but they can just do what they did to American Airlines and cut their subsidies. I’m not sure if the MLB receives financial assistance from the state but they could do something similar to retaliate.

I thought about this too how the decision would likely not change anything in Georgia but it is getting a lot of scrutiny and press and the Georgia governor seems to be taking a very defensive position, citing "cancel culture" among other things. And of course there is the short-term, but negative impact on the local Atlanta economy from not having a boost in revenues during the All-Star Game and draft.

Since I follow the pro sports world, I see this as a big step forward though with the league listening to the wants of its players and making this decision which surely had risks for the MLB too (although I am also curious about the financials and perhaps the MLB didn't see this as too risky given they can relocate the game and draft elsewhere so they'll still profit).  If anything, I hope the increase in corporate pressure on ESG issues makes politicians and other government officials think twice on things like this

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,689
3 minutes ago, Starboy said:

But if the Georgia legislature doesn’t budge and the bill stands, will the MLB and other companies permanently stop doing business in or with the state? I don’t think so. It’ll be real embarrassing for them to just go back to business as usual after like a year or so.

I do like the pressure that corporations are putting on the state but I’m not convinced it’ll work in the end. 

You have a point - I highly doubt the Atlanta Braves will move out of Georgia and if the team makes the playoffs then the games will likely happen in Georgia which does sound conflicting. Same with any other company that does business in or with the state.

I don't really have a good explanation or argument but the way I see it is that corporations are more likely to challenge any new legislation or action that does not adhere to its/society's social values. The All-Star Game and Draft are more like ad-hoc, one-time events that rotate from city to city and were the easiest things in the eyes of the MLB to move to be in solidarity soon after the bill was passed. Timing is key here imo and we will soon see if more "dominoes" fall to put immediate pressure on the Georgia legislature to reverse the decision.

However I join in your skepticism about whether these actions by corporations will make a difference at the moment. I agree that not until corporations make long-term commitments will we start to see real change. Still the MLB's decision would not have happened if this were a few years ago, so the optimist in me at least sees this as an improvement in terms of not letting racist acts slide by the way side. Change can be slow, but it starts with general public awareness and recognition and the more allies and people/organizations speaking up, the better, even if efforts prove to be futile.

Ahh sorry for the essay. If you still disagree, feel free to let me know. I value others' opinions.

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709

#45 :icant:

...hope you all have an amazing Easter and I hope you’re all able to celebrate safely and responsibly. Stay safe and healthy everyone :love:

• paws up 1
  • shook 1
  • hugs 1

Popster to Popster 4,583

The implications of this case were massive and if they had sided with Oracle basically would have blown up the entire software development industry.  Glad to see SCOTUS make the right call here but Alito and Thomas are her to f- up publicly again.  So glad we have a SCOTUS judge that's married to a Q Anon crazy 🙃

Also some other good news:

The general assembly could still override him with a simple majority so this isn't over but it's still nice to see

Edited by NotDoctor
  • yaas, gaga 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,709
3 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

Also some other good news:

The general assembly could still override him with a simple majority so this isn't over but it's still nice to see

OMG WOW I’m kinda shocked....did he say why he didn’t sign it? I figured he would given his party affiliation.....

edit: just saw what he said, just that he didn’t agree with it! We’ll see if it gets overridden! :/ 

48 minutes ago, Starboy said:

This is exciting! Can’t wait to see her in Congress :happydance:

YAS I love me some Nina!!!!!! Really looking forward to her in the House if she wins :love:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 2

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal