All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 4,583
35 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Thought this was a great article giving an update on where things stand, seems like Senator Tim Scott’s compromise on qualified immunity is shifting those lawsuits from the police officers to their employers (IE police stations) 

many thoughts after reading the article?

“But on Wednesday, Republican Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina said he is proposing shifting the burden of responsibility from individual police officers to their employers: police departments. He said the idea of allowing police departments to be taken to court but not individual officers "seems to be resonating" in his talks with both Democrats and Republicans.”

If it gets other parts of the original House bill through then maybe but the core issue is that police cannot be held accountable in many situations and shifting the liability to the department does what?  Any financial damage comes out of tax payer money so who it's a non-issue for them 

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596
2 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

If it gets other parts of the original House bill through then maybe but the core issue is that police cannot be held accountable in many situations and shifting the liability to the department does what?  Any financial damage comes out of tax payer money so who it's a non-issue for them 

I agree, I think it would have to have a lot of other stuff for it pass, like you said qualified immunity is the biggest divider and if the bill compromises on that you can imagine Dems especially the progressives won’t budge on anything else...I’m pretty sure Jamal Bowman already came out and said Tim Scott’s compromise is no good

I just want something to pass so bad...I just don’t want to be hung up on one thing that other things like setting up the national registry of police violence, no knock warrants, and bans on chokeholds, among other things so unchecked...

Obviously I agree about Qualified Immunity though and how important it is that police officers be held responsible...is it worth it to compromise on their employers being held responsible if it means we get a lot of other things? This is what has to be asked and  answered...and I don’t know ::|:

edit:

AOC & Jamaal Bowman are not supportive of this kind of move, a reminder that it's hard to make all sides happy. 

"We shouldn't water down legislation to avoid that kind of accountability"-AOC

"Individual police officers absolutely should be held accountable" -Bowman

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596

Update to OP Senate Seats Most Likely to Flip:

10) Missoouri (+1) - Missouri wouldn't be on this list if it weren't for one man: former Gov. Eric Greitens, who launched a pro-Trump Senate campaign after Sen. Roy Blunt announced he wasn't running for reelection. Greitens resigned from office following a probe into allegations of sexual and campaign misconduct, leading to Republican fears that he could endanger the Senate seat (and the rest of the map next year). That kind of situation isn't without precedent: in 2012, Todd Akin cost Republicans the state. Sen. Josh Hawley -- an avid Greitens enemy -- is said to be working behind the scenes against him. Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt is also running, and several members of the delegation are eyeing the race, but the more people who get in, the more the anti-Greitens vote will be split. On the Democratic side, state Sen. Scott Sifton was already running, while Marine veteran Lucas Kunce, a progressive who says "It's time to Marshall Plan the Midwest," announced after Blunt said he was retiring. Several bigger names, like former Sen. Claire McCaskill and 2016 nominee Jason Kander, who only lost to Blunt by 3 points, have passed. For now, the possibility that Greitens' candidacy entices some bigger-name Democratic candidates (even those who have already ruled it out) into the race or eventually becomes the GOP nominee is enough to land Missouri a spot on this list.

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596
10 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Can’t wait to see the debate :laughga:

The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

MTG really wants to get her a** spanked that bad huh...will it even be fair to call it a “debate” ? :billie:

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 3,689

Today Biden convened and addressed other countries at a virtual Earth Day Summit on climate change

He formally pledged that the US would cut its emissions at least in half from 2005 levels by 2030 and intends to double by 2024 the amount of money it offers to help developing countries

My take: a great step forward in restoring international confidence in the US to join the fight against climate change. The goal is very ambitious though. Its doable from a technological point of view but not without significant federal incentives and policies, many of which will need approval by Congress or the courts. Studies show that to get there, these are some of the major changes that need to occur: 

• By 2030, half of the country’s electricity would come from renewable sources such as wind, solar or hydropower, up from one-fifth today.
  • New natural gas plants would be built largely with technology that can capture carbon dioxide instead of releasing it into the atmosphere — technology that is still in its infancy.
  • Virtually all of the 200 remaining coal plants in the U.S. would shut down unless they, too, can capture their emissions and bury them underground.
  • By 2030, two-thirds of new cars and S.U.V.s sold would be battery-powered, up from roughly 2 percent today.
  • All new buildings would be heated by electricity rather than natural gas.
  • The nation’s cement, steel and chemical industries would adopt stringent new energy-efficiency targets.
  • Oil and gas producers would slash emissions of methane, a potent heat-trapping gas, by 60 percent.
  • The nation’s forests would expand, and farming practices would be reworked, so that they pull 20 percent more carbon dioxide out of the air than they do today.

• yaas, gaga 3

Popster to Popster 4,583
8 minutes ago, NYNJ Nights said:

Today Biden convened and addressed other countries at a virtual Earth Day Summit on climate change

He formally pledged that the US would cut its emissions at least in half from 2005 levels by 2030 and intends to double by 2024 the amount of money it offers to help developing countries

My take: a great step forward in restoring international confidence in the US to join the fight against climate change. The goal is very ambitious though. Its doable from a technological point of view but not without significant federal incentives and policies, many of which will need approval by Congress or the courts. Studies show that to get there, these are some of the major changes that need to occur: 

• By 2030, half of the country’s electricity would come from renewable sources such as wind, solar or hydropower, up from one-fifth today.
  • New natural gas plants would be built largely with technology that can capture carbon dioxide instead of releasing it into the atmosphere — technology that is still in its infancy.
  • Virtually all of the 200 remaining coal plants in the U.S. would shut down unless they, too, can capture their emissions and bury them underground.
  • By 2030, two-thirds of new cars and S.U.V.s sold would be battery-powered, up from roughly 2 percent today.
  • All new buildings would be heated by electricity rather than natural gas.
  • The nation’s cement, steel and chemical industries would adopt stringent new energy-efficiency targets.
  • Oil and gas producers would slash emissions of methane, a potent heat-trapping gas, by 60 percent.
  • The nation’s forests would expand, and farming practices would be reworked, so that they pull 20 percent more carbon dioxide out of the air than they do today.

These are great to see, although I have very little faith that it would actually be implemented.  

• paws up 1
  • love 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
4 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

These are great to see, although I have very little faith that it would actually be implemented.  

I try to be an optimist, but even I can't see this happening given the current political landscape and lack of impetus from the oil and gas industry  :bradley:

I don't know what will finally convince most Republicans to get on board. Unfortunately, I think it will be more damaging events - sea level rise, coastal flooding, wildfires... and outcry from the public/voters and institutions to finally demand change. The cost might seem high today but not compared to the future costs of needing to adapt down the road. It wasn't until this election that climate became a debate topic. So change and greater awareness is happening, but too slowly...

• love 2

Popster to Popster 4,420

a mess lol

I wouldn't count her out tho, Arnold Schwarzenegger was the GOP governor of CA not too long ago, I guess if CA elects a Republican they have to be a celebrity (Ronald Reagan was a celebrity too)

That being said I think CA is far too Democratic for her to be able to win, Newsom annihilated his opponent in 2018 

Edited by WildAmerican

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596
1 hour ago, NotDoctor said:

Ah yes, I'm sure she'll be running as a Republican too.  The famously pro-trans women political party :icant:

You didn’t hear? They LOVE WOMEN... and more importantly WOMAN’S SPORTS..so they aren’t transphobic they just REALLY LOVE WOMEN

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

• lol 2

Popstanne 5,076
5 minutes ago, NYNJ Nights said:

The only thing worse is a Jenner-West 2024 presidential bid :icant:

Please don’t speak that into existence.

• lol 3

ARTPOPster 2,450
1 hour ago, NYNJ Nights said:

The only thing worse is a Jenner-West 2024 presidential bid :icant:

58 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Please don’t speak that into existence.

If it happens we know who to blame :mess:

• lol 4

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596

Forgot to report about this but......

The White House is preparing to unveil a roughly $1.8 trillion spending and tax plan this coming week that includes many of President Biden’s campaign promises but also reflects the daunting challenges facing the administration as it tries to transform the U.S. economy.....Here are some of the major elements of the families plan, based on media reports: 

Education — $300 billion in education funding, the biggest pot of which includes funding to make two-year community colleges tuition-free

Childcare — $225 billion in child-care funding

Paid Leave — $225 billion for paid family and medical leave

Healthcare — $200 billion to extend more enhanced Affordable Care Act subsidies

Pre-Kindergarten — $200 billion for prekindergarten instruction

Extension of the Child Tax Credit Thru 2025 — The plan would also extend the CTC until 2025, the people said, a measure that could cost as much as $400 billion, as well as extend a more robust tax credit for workers.

****DETAILS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

The White House is also set to scrap a plan included in earlier drafts of their proposal to include as much as $500 billion in savings from the prescription drug industry. Speculation was rampant in the past week among congressional Democrats and advocates close to the White House as to why the administration would reject the measure to allow the government to force the pharmaceutical giants to lower their prices. Pelosi is lobbying the White House to include the measure. The White House declined to comment.

It is also unclear whether the funding levels proposed by the administration will be sufficient to ensure every American can afford child care or robust paid leave. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) during the presidential campaign introduced a universal child-care plan estimated to cost about $700 billion over 10 years, while Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D-N.Y.) paid-leave plan was estimated to cost more than $500 billion — both substantially more money than what the administration is eyeing.

The proposal will represent the second part of Biden’s “Build Back Better” agenda, following the $2.3 trillion jobs and manufacturing proposal the White House released several weeks ago. Combined, the approximately $4 trillion in new spending would amount to being among the most ambitious government overhauls of the economy in decades. But the administration’s coming proposal also shows the limits constraining Biden’s ambitions, with the White House set to jettison campaign pledges and demands from key allies in the face of countervailing political pressures. The legislative challenges in passing the bill could also be among the most difficult the White House has so far faced. It is unclear whether the White House will seek to pass the jobs plan first through Congress or attempt to package both efforts together.

With reports of what’s in the American Jobs Plan & the American Families Plan, here's the new cost of the Biden agenda: $4 trillion in new spending and $2.4 trillion in new taxes over the next decade using proposed and reported info on the two bills.

fjCY5GW.jpg

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • thanks 4

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸Politics: American Families Plan Details Leak
Popster to Popster 4,420
7 minutes ago, Delusional said:

Why does it feel like there’s some sort of new tax/budget plan in the US government every day? 

is this not why the country is divided asf because there’s constantly new sh*t to debate and make people angry?

idk if I’m just uneducated and don’t realise this happens everywhere but it’s so strange 

Various legislators can propose plans and budgets but the only one that matters is the one that passes Congress and is signed by the President. This extends to all legislation - people can introduce and propose legislation but only if they pass and get signed do they go into affect.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,596
3 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Various legislators can propose plans and budgets but the only one that matters is the one that passes Congress and is signed by the President. This extends to all legislation - people can introduce and propose legislation but only if they pass and get signed do they go into affect.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

14 minutes ago, Delusional said:

Why does it feel like there’s some sort of new tax/budget plan in the US government every day? 

is this not why the country is divided asf because there’s constantly new sh*t to debate and make people angry?

idk if I’m just uneducated and don’t realise this happens everywhere but it’s so strange 

Yeah, the last time that the taxes changed were in 2017 with President Trump’s tax law that they passed...I will say though Delusional you so make a good point that a lot of Americans make ourselves.

Using climate change as an example...it’s all fine and dandy to make promises on the international stage on what America is gonna do in terms of cutting emissions but if those promises change when we have a new President why do those country’s care about what “promises” we make..what DT did to the US on a foreign policy scale is so damaging because now those countries can say to Biden “well that’s nice but if we have President Cruz in 4 years these promises mean jack sh!t”

Which is why LEGISLATIVE change is so important. A President can only do so much through executor order and another President can come in and undo that if they choose, as we saw Biden do with a handful of policies that defined the Trump administration..sorry to go off on a tangent not about taxes but your comment really made me think of the above point and how America can “easily change”

• paws up 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal