PA911's Globalvision - S1: Into the Galaxy

Lorde Von Kok

Popstanne 5,076

spacer.png

The Country

Spoiler

I chose Singapore as my country because though it is a tiny city-state, it is diverse. Present-day Singapore is a mix of cultures: a Han Chinese majority, with significant Malay and Indian populations. A former British colony, it has four official languages –– English, Malay, Mandarin Chinese, and Tamil. Given this cultural richness, I was excited to explore its indie music scene, and I wasn’t disappointed. While I discovered many interesting local talents, one grabbed my attention and refused to let go: a 25-year-old female electropop artist named Jasmine Sokko. 

spacer.png

The Artist

Spoiler

Jasmine Wong Chu Qing 楚晴, known by her stage name of Jasmine Sokko (“Sokko” means “blind” in Finnish), is a 25-year-old electronic music singer-songwriter and producer, as well as one of the most-streamed Singaporean female singers on Spotify. Long before the world had heard of Covid-19, Jasmine was famous for wearing masks and visors to partially obscure her face, cloaking the chanteuse in an air of mystery. 

Jasmine Sokko blazed onto the Singaporean music scene in 2016 with her single “1057,” which she wrote and produced. In 2018, she participated in the electronic music talent reality competition show Rave Now in mainland China, placing among the top six finalists. Later that year, she became the first Singaporean artist to win the award for Best Southeast Asian Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards. 

She stands out to me for several reasons. She writes, sings, and produces all of her own music, and she records music in both English and Mandarin (she relearned Mandarin as an adult especially for this purpose). Having attracted an enthusiastic following in Singapore, her allure is now catching the attention of listeners throughout the world. The Chainsmokers, Grimes, and Lady Gaga are all fans of her work, and as you can see below, Gaga even follows her on Twitter.

spacer.png

It is only fitting then that Jasmine likewise considers herself a Little Monster. As you can see in the short video clip below, the first CD she ever bought was The Fame, and she is inspired by Gaga’s triconic talent. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

The Song

Spoiler

Because I’ve been charmed by almost every one of her songs, I had trouble deciding which one to choose for this competition. After much back-and-forth, I have chosen “HURT,” her first major-label debut on Warner Music Singapore, which she released in 2018.

I chose this song for several reasons. Lyrically, it is a song about wanting to lash out and hurt someone who has hurt you. 

Lyrics

Spoiler

Yeah, I know how we are
Haven't been doing good for a while
But I just need somebody (need somebody)
So I came to you to cry about
The things that pull me down
But you blame it on insecurities (insecurities)

You see, I know, I know

I know you know my weakness
But you didn't have to rub it in right now to remind me
You said you meant me well with your affection
So I guess there's a glitch in transaction
Some kind of miscalculation
Baby, I am sorry

I just want to hurt you back
I just (hurt you back)
I know I'm kind of selfish
I just

I just, I just, I just, I just
Hurt you back
Hurt you back

See I wish I was calm
Spilling words
Like haze getting
Poisons darts right of my chest (right of my chest)
And I like your honesty
But I didn't think I need affection
Of apology, 'cause that is free

You see, I know, I know

So I guess there's glitch in transaction

Baby, I am sorry

I just (hurt you back)
I just (hurt you back)
Hurt you back
Hurt you back

Though such feelings may be petty, I think most of us have felt this way. Jasmine explains her motivation behind the song as follows: 

“In life, the person you care about will hurt you because they were trying to be honest. A person’s intention is something that can never truly be transferred. It’s just created and understood. Their actions might come from a good place but you could perceive it in a different way. In my case, I wanted to do the same to the person who unintentionally hurt me – just so they’ll understand. It’s a bit petty but it was how I felt at the time.”

Sonically, the song has a catchy beat and melody, and I can’t help but rock my body when listening to it. The ethereality of Jasmine’s voice and upbeat rhythm undercut the brutality of the lyrics; this juxtaposition is reminiscent of Chromatica, with Jasmine also dancing through her pain. Like Chromatica, I too wish I could dance to it in a club. For now, my room will have to do. 

Visually, the video is captivating, evocative of a dystopian sci-fi film. Clad in black and donning various “masks” that partially hide her face, a beguiling young woman (played by Jasmine) confidently saunters around a pink-and-black warehouse, dancing and fighting back against those who have tied her down, both physically and metaphorically. Reflecting Singapore’s multilingualism, though she sings in English, words in Malay, simplified Chinese, and Tamil are superimposed on the screen. 

Beyond this competition, I encourage you to check out the rest of her discography. Her new single, “Medusa,” comes out on March 4. I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us! 

You can follow Jasmine on Instagram or Twitter if you’re so inclined, and you can stream her music here: https://wmsg.lnk.to/jasminesokko-medusa

@Anveeroy @Elizabeth II @Twitter

@Andreu @Bakugo @corvus albus @danwasd @Delusional @Dirkje @Elvira @Franch Toast @Grasim @Gypsy Life @JennyWayne @Joannesrats @Joesuda @little legend @PETTY @Roman @SLAG 

@Lorde Von Kok

Edited by Franch Toast
  • paws up 5
  • yaas, gaga 12

Popstanne 5,076
1 minute ago, Bakugo said:

@Franch Toast THAT WAS ICONIC! Thank you so much!

Love yours too! Had to finish mine before I could listen. It's so awesome to learn about new artists through this game. 

• paws up 1

Deactivated 14,311
1 minute ago, Franch Toast said:

Love yours too! Had to finish mine before I could listen. It's so awesome to learn about new artists through this game. 

Agree! I’m so excited to hear others! The way timezones are I kind of get 2 days worth of everyones entries. Its so nice!

• yaas, gaga 1

Popstanne 5,076

Okay, @Bakugo, not only does that song rock, but that video is trippy as all get out. Wow! I have to go watch it again. I also really appreciate the sentiment behind why you chose the song. It's extremely inspiring. 

• paws up 1

Gaming Leader 6,416

Singapore: I really love this song, I think it’s catchy and and I’m excited to discover more from this artist. The video is fun and I love all the info you included. Thanks for introducing her to us! @Franch Toast

spacer.png

• paws up 2

Deactivated 14,311
16 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Okay, @Bakugo, not only does that song rock, but that video is trippy as all get out. Wow! I have to go watch it again. I also really appreciate the sentiment behind why you chose the song. It's extremely inspiring. 

Thanks babe! I’m still Digesting yours whilst I work. So I will get to it all very soon but I loved it so much upon listening! Pure FIRE!

• paws up 1

Deactivated 14,311
4 minutes ago, Elvira said:

OH babes I love this pick so much! I was going to go for her if I got Australia too! Our minds!! Icons!  This so good! A great pick!

• thanks 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 1,279
1 minute ago, Bakugo said:

OH babes I love this pick so much! I was going to go for her if I got Australia too! Our minds!! Icons!  This so good! A great pick!

Omg for real??? :excited: Glad to know I'm going with someone you'd pick, that's a good sign - the TASTE!!

high five poison ivy GIF

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,279
9 minutes ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

Wow.

Chewing Gum Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, SLAG said:

@Elvira this is stunning. The song is a banger! I wanna hear more from her!

Thank you so much!! Can't wait to show you guys more from her :excited:

• paws up 1
  • hugs 2

ARTPOPster 1,279
4 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Love it, @Elvira! And that video is so sultry! 

Glad you like it! And yes! I don't know if this would matter to post in the text (that's why I left it out), but according to her, even the colors reflect the double feeling of the song - the blue being the sad feeling and the red colors the "sex" touch, all in a place like an basement because "is meant to represent the inner workings of my brain and the thoughts people may somewhat suppress"

mind blow wow GIF

Edited by Elvira
  • paws up 2

ARTPOPster 1,279
1 hour ago, Franch Toast said:

spacer.png

The Country

Hide contents

I chose Singapore as my country because though it is a tiny city-state, it is diverse. Present-day Singapore is a mix of cultures: a Han Chinese majority, with significant Malay and Indian populations. A former British colony, it has four official languages –– English, Malay, Mandarin Chinese, and Tamil. Given this cultural richness, I was excited to explore its indie music scene, and I wasn’t disappointed. While I discovered many interesting local talents, one grabbed my attention and refused to let go: a 25-year-old female electropop artist named Jasmine Sokko. 

spacer.png

The Artist

Reveal hidden contents

Jasmine Wong Chu Qing 楚晴, known by her stage name of Jasmine Sokko (“Sokko” means “blind” in Finnish), is a 25-year-old electronic music singer-songwriter and producer, as well as one of the most-streamed Singaporean female singers on Spotify. Long before the world had heard of Covid-19, Jasmine was famous for wearing masks and visors to partially obscure her face, cloaking the chanteuse in an air of mystery. 

Jasmine Sokko blazed onto the Singaporean music scene in 2016 with her single “1057,” which she wrote and produced. In 2018, she participated in the electronic music talent reality competition show Rave Now in mainland China, placing among the top six finalists. Later that year, she became the first Singaporean artist to win the award for Best Southeast Asian Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards. 

She stands out to me for several reasons. She writes, sings, and produces all of her own music, and she records music in both English and Mandarin (she relearned Mandarin as an adult especially for this purpose). Having attracted an enthusiastic following in Singapore, her allure is now catching the attention of listeners throughout the world. The Chainsmokers, Grimes, and Lady Gaga are all fans of her work, and as you can see below, Gaga even follows her on Twitter.

spacer.png

It is only fitting then that Jasmine likewise considers herself a Little Monster. As you can see in the short video clip below, the first CD she ever bought was The Fame, and she is inspired by Gaga’s triconic talent. 

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

The Song

Hide contents

Because I’ve been charmed by almost every one of her songs, I had trouble deciding which one to choose for this competition. After much back-and-forth, I have chosen “HURT,” her first major-label debut on Warner Music Singapore, which she released in 2018.

I chose this song for several reasons. Lyrically, it is a song about wanting to lash out and hurt someone who has hurt you. 

Lyrics

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I know how we are
Haven't been doing good for a while
But I just need somebody (need somebody)
So I came to you to cry about
The things that pull me down
But you blame it on insecurities (insecurities)

You see, I know, I know

So I guess there's a glitch in transaction
Baby, I am sorry

I just (hurt you back)
I just

Hurt you back
Hurt you back

See I wish I was calm
Spilling words
Like haze getting
Poisons darts right of my chest (right of my chest)
And I like your honesty
But I didn't think I need affection
Of apology, 'cause that is free

You see, I know, I know

So I guess there's glitch in transaction

Baby, I am sorry

I just (hurt you back)
I just (hurt you back)
Hurt you back
Hurt you back

Though such feelings may be petty, I think most of us have felt this way. Jasmine explains her motivation behind the song as follows: 

“In life, the person you care about will hurt you because they were trying to be honest. A person’s intention is something that can never truly be transferred. It’s just created and understood. Their actions might come from a good place but you could perceive it in a different way. In my case, I wanted to do the same to the person who unintentionally hurt me – just so they’ll understand. It’s a bit petty but it was how I felt at the time.”

Sonically, the song has a catchy beat and melody, and I can’t help but rock my body when listening to it. The ethereality of Jasmine’s voice and upbeat rhythm undercut the brutality of the lyrics; this juxtaposition is reminiscent of Chromatica, with Jasmine also dancing through her pain. Like Chromatica, I too wish I could dance to it in a club. For now, my room will have to do. 

Visually, the video is captivating, evocative of a dystopian sci-fi film. Clad in black and donning various “masks” that partially hide her face, a beguiling young woman (played by Jasmine) confidently saunters around a pink-and-black warehouse, dancing and fighting back against those who have tied her down, both physically and metaphorically. Reflecting Singapore’s multilingualism, though she sings in English, words in Malay, simplified Chinese, and Tamil are superimposed on the screen. 

Beyond this competition, I encourage you to check out the rest of her discography. Her new single, “Medusa,” comes out on March 4. I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us! 

You can follow Jasmine on Instagram or Twitter if you’re so inclined, and you can stream her music here: https://wmsg.lnk.to/jasminesokko-medusa

@Anveeroy @Elizabeth II @Twitter

@Andreu @Bakugo @corvus albus @danwasd @Delusional @Dirkje @Elvira @Franch Toast @Grasim @Gypsy Life @JennyWayne @Joannesrats @Joesuda @little legend @PETTY @Roman @SLAG 

@Lorde Von Kok

Omg I saw the pictures and the video thumbnail and I was expecting something completely different! I'm shook, this is so good and catchy??!! :happydance: Loved how you literally put all the meanings, I should've done that. She's beautiful and the visuals in the video are amazing. I don't think I know any artist from Singapore so I can't wait to see more from ha!

• paws up 1