PA911's Globalvision - S1: Into the Galaxy

Lorde Von Kok

Popstanne 5,076

@Gypsy Life, what a beautiful, touching song. It got me in all the feels. That show looks really interesting, too. I've been to Thailand but know so little about Thai pop culture, so thank you for introducing us to both the song and the drama. :love:

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 28,070

The song I would like to introduce you guys to is Summer Love, by chilean artists Gianluca and Princesa Alba.

tumblr_pll40eMeKS1wvfzmd_1280.png

Why did I chose this song/country?

I feel like Chile has a really interesting urban/indie music scene with a bunch of great artists, but, for some reason, chilean artists hardly ever achieve international success like Puerto Rican, Colombian or Spanish musicians do. I specifically chose this song, because Princesa Alba and Gianluca are two of my favourite artists from Chile and this is one of the best songs for the both of them, so I thought it was a good idea to introducte you to the both of them at once.

Introducing the artists

Gianluca Antonio Abarza Caro is a chilean singer, rapper and music producer. He was born in 1996 in Santiago and he started making music as a teenager using Fruity Loops. He started releasing the music he made in 2016, the same year he dropped out of college to focus on his career as a musical artist. In 2017, his song Siempre Triste (always sad) became a viral hit in his home country and served as the main single off his debut mixtape SSR. Later that year he released an EP called Vortex. In 2018 he released his second mixtape G Love and in 2019 he released his first proper studio album Yin Yang, which contains her biggest solo song so far: Flotando (floating). 2019 was also the year of his first international tour, with shows in  Mexico, the USA, Canada and Spain. 

0ZyeZ5C_OqxMEJr6JofK8RyXO7slk8XJyyi0qUdnOEOzylAMhhBp5JZHO5mBmHF_HhdFQqZzql37we-au8ptsMD64S9RIwSO3oDKYsDaA9VaxOZ9lolq_EZM2qv_xnKKD_FUJC8X

Trinidad Valentina Riveros Inostroza, aka Princesa Alba, was born in 1997 in the chilean capital as well. Her first song Mi Only One went viral in 2017 in Chile, but many people didn’t take her seriously and saw her more as a meme than as an artist. However, Princesa Alba proved them wrong with her subsequent singles like Convéncete, Summer Love or Mi Culpa. She’s known for bleding latin urban rhythms with pop essences in her songs. She has never been shy about showing her admiration for the anglohpone pop queens, and has actually posted about Gaga in her instagram stories a bunch of times.

Qsi_-WWyoCeQ9L574iKLnIUybn8YmclEaivlxgFh5AvN2P4ZW8caYk30u1-0_YiugTsLraz9UIrNK1v1sK0nS5otxbaQUXmF5CGHtWm8UPis_QCSLjU6WWn9p0h_KIl4usBKtXNZ

Introducing the song

Princesa Alba and Gianluca released their first collaboration Summer Love in December 2018. The lyrics talk about how a monotone and vulgar routine can turn into an exciting life with the right person by your side. Summer Love peaked at #35 in their home country, being the first top40 entry for both of them. The music video for Summer Love was released a few days later, and it was filmed in an iconic location in Santiago called Villa Portales. The music video shows both performers doing daily, apparently uninteresting activities, but they are shot extremely brautifully, to reinforce the concept of the song. The music video for Summer Love has earned multiple awards, including the Best Video of 2019 at the in-edit festival.

Lyrics + english translation

Despite the english title, it's a song in spanish, so I figured out it would be useful for many of you to have a translation for the lyrics, which you will be able to find in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Original lyrics

English translation

Chorus

2x

Rode'a de concreto, escapemos del sol

Mi verano 'tá muerto, pero tú eres calor

Me atrevo y te digo que no' quiero junto' lo' dos

Tengo que decirlo: bebé, tú eres mi summer love

Surrounded by concrete, let’s hide from the sun Summer is dead but you bring the heat.

I dare and I tell you that I wanna be with you

I have to say it, baby, you’re my summer love

Alba’s verse

and pre-chorus

Yo no necesito que me lleve' al mar

Me basta con que te deje' amar

Quiero que te venga' acá

A ver si hay algo más

Bebé, tú sabes que esto me hace mal

Y, ¿si nos vamos en otro plan?

Si tú me quieres tuya al cien por ciento

Confieso que yo igual

I don’t want you to bring me to the sea

It’s enough if you let me love you

I want you to come here

To see if there’s something else

Baby you know that this hurts me

Why don’t we do something else

If you love me a hundred percent

I confess so do I

Chorus

Gianluca’s verse

De un día pa' otro las cosas cambiaron

Yo soy más bien frío y ahora solo quiero tu calor

Me dice' que te hable en serio, de mono pasamo' a estéreo

No perdamos más el tiempo, estar contigo parece perfecto

'Tamos bien chilly, to' esto me encanta

Pero no sé si es pa' serio, ya

Quiero que te venga' acá

A ver si hay algo más

One day things changed

I tend to be cold but now the only thing I want is your heat

You want me to take it seriously, from mono we jump into stereo

Let’s not lose any more time, being with you seems perfect to me

We’re only chilling and I love it

But I don’t know if it’s serious yet

I want you to come here

To see if there’s something else

Prechorus both

Bebé, tú sabes que esto me hace mal

Y, ¿si nos vamos en otro plan?

Te espero en mi pieza, no pierdo el tiempo

Que ya no soy tan santa

Baby, you know this hurts me

but why don’t we do something else

I wait for you in my room, I lose no time

‘cause I am not a saint

Chorus 2x

Outro

Bebé, tú eres mi summer love

Bebé, tú eres mi summer love (Ah-ah-ah)

Bebé, tú eres mi summer love

Baby, you are my summer love

Baby you are my summer love

Baby you are my summer love

Last but certainly not least, here is the music video for the song. Hope you like it!

• paws up 5
  • yaas, gaga 6

Deactivated 14,311

@Andreu definitely love the vibe of this! Could Have seen it released in english and be somewhat successful tbh! The video is also really nicely shot too! 

• paws up 1

Moderator 16,446

@Gypsy Life

I don't understand why you were worried tbh. I'm sure this song will be one of the most successful here because it's just such a beautiful ballad. Combined with the ultra cute music video it's just :flutter:

@Andreu

The instrumental sounds really cute. This song survives just on vibes alone. I just found it funny how Princess Alba always looked kinda spaced out in the music video :icant:

• paws up 2

Moderator 3,690

I chose Estonia – a logical choice to represent my own country. As soon as the game was announced I knew who I was going to choose – there are only a few artist in my country who have stunning visuals so it had to be

THE ARTIST:

Kerli-tiitliga

Kerli

ABOUT KERLI:

kerli-artisti-tekst.jpg

Spoiler

Transcript of image text: Avant-Garde, mystical and magical are just some of the ways that Kerli’s music can be described. She has defied genre and has created a musical world of her own, which draws from pop, goth, industrial, experimental and much more. Her music draws deep from Estonian mythology and it inhabits our otherworldly legends.

The song I chose is heavily influenced by the nine months Kerli spent in the Estonian forest reconnecting with her roots and her native homeland’s rich culture. I thought it would be fitting to choose a song, that is heavily rooted in Estonian folklore to bring our old beliefs to a wider audience.  The imagery within the video alludes to a battle of light against dark over a person’s inner spirit.

THE MYTHOLOGY:

pilt1

Spoiler

Transcript of text: 

About 6000 years ago, the ancient Estonians developed a belief in VÄGI - an innate power present in every human being, guiding one through life. It was believed that everyone needed to take good care of their VÄGI and that the well being of a person was in direct association with how much or how little of it they had.

This power can be transferred by word - kind words strengthen VÄGI and cruel words create curses. Even by looking at someone, one can add to or rob someone else of their power as eyes are the gateway to the soul.

That's why it is still believed to this day that THE EVIL EYE is the biggest enemy of VÄGI.

THE SONG:

TO PROTECT YOUR VÄGI FROM THE EVIL EYE  
YOU MUST BECOME DIAMOND HARD

METAINFO:

The song is self-written, self-produced and the video is self-directed by Kerli. It was released on 27th of July, 2016. The video is funded by Visit Estonia - Estonia's national tourism agency. Kerli herself said that when writing the song she had to take multiple breaks as she felt that the Energy in the recording studio got too dark. It is understandable as the song was written whilst she was living alone in the woods. A fun fact - the song contains a sample of dragons. 

THE LYRICS:

Spoiler

You're rolling me in gravel, I'll leave without a scratch
You throwing rocks at my way, but I just won't react

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become
Outnumbered and outgunned
That's where I'm shining at

My skin is soft like velvet but my nails are razor sharp
My scent is sweet like honey but I am diamond hard
My ways they cut through plastic, rust free my golden heart
This sh!t is so bombastic, yeah I am diamond hard

Unbreakable, unbreakable, unbreakable
Unbreakable, unbreakable, unbreakable heart
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

Push comes to shove I'll revel, rising under attack
When no one betting on me, is when I'll own the track

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become
I'm fast and stop when I'm run
With knives stuck in my back

I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

I am diamond hard

Sorry if the visuals are a little bit messy - I have no talent in graphic design and I had to put these together in Paint 3D. :enigma:

• paws up 5
  • yaas, gaga 7

Moderator 3,690
6 minutes ago, Delusional said:

The rock vibes of the song >>>>>>>

spacer.png

Kerli's first album - Love Is Dead (released in 2008) is a Pop-Rock album with Gothic influences. You could check that out if you want. 

• yaas, gaga 2

Pop-a-911-ster 28,070

I love the fact that she added elements of their culture's folklore into her music. It's something I wish we saw more european artists do.

Edited by Andreu
  • paws up 2

Deactivated 14,311
37 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

I chose Estonia – a logical choice to represent my own country. As soon as the game was announced I knew who I was going to choose – there are only a few artist in my country who have stunning visuals so it had to be

THE ARTIST:

Kerli-tiitliga

Kerli

ABOUT KERLI:

kerli-artisti-tekst.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Transcript of image text: Avant-Garde, mystical and magical are just some of the ways that Kerli’s music can be described. She has defied genre and has created a musical world of her own, which draws from pop, goth, industrial, experimental and much more. Her music draws deep from Estonian mythology and it inhabits our otherworldly legends.

The song I chose is heavily influenced by the nine months Kerli spent in the Estonian forest reconnecting with her roots and her native homeland’s rich culture. I thought it would be fitting to choose a song, that is heavily rooted in Estonian folklore to bring our old beliefs to a wider audience.  The imagery within the video alludes to a battle of light against dark over a person’s inner spirit.

THE MYTHOLOGY:

pilt1

Reveal hidden contents

Transcript of text: 

About 6000 years ago, the ancient Estonians developed a belief in VÄGI - an innate power present in every human being, guiding one through life. It was believed that everyone needed to take good care of their VÄGI and that the well being of a person was in direct association with how much or how little of it they had.

This power can be transferred by word - kind words strengthen VÄGI and cruel words create curses. Even by looking at someone, one can add to or rob someone else of their power as eyes are the gateway to the soul.

That's why it is still believed to this day that THE EVIL EYE is the biggest enemy of VÄGI.

THE SONG:

METAINFO:

The song is self-written, self-produced and the video is self-directed by Kerli. It was released on 27th of July, 2016. The video is funded by Visit Estonia - Estonia's national tourism agency. Kerli herself said that when writing the song she had to take multiple breaks as she felt that the Energy in the recording studio got too dark. It is understandable as the song was written whilst she was living alone in the woods. A fun fact - the song contains a sample of dragons. 

THE LYRICS:

Reveal hidden contents

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become

I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become

I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

I am diamond hard

Sorry if the visuals are a little bit messy - I have no talent in graphic design and I had to put these together in Paint 3D. :enigma:

I’ve always loved Kerli! I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS QUEEN!!! 

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 20,966
1 hour ago, Joesuda said:

THE ARTIST:

Kerli-tiitliga

Kerli

ABOUT KERLI:

kerli-artisti-tekst.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

THE MYTHOLOGY:

pilt1

Reveal hidden contents

Transcript of text: 

THE SONG:

METAINFO:

THE LYRICS:

Reveal hidden contents

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become

I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

The less I see the sun
The brighter I'll become

I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard
I am diamond hard

I am diamond hard

Yaaas good job bestie!!! I love Kerli so much. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
Just now, donatellab said:

Yaaas good job bestie!!! I love Kerli so much. 

Same, Love is Dead was and still is a moment. 

• yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 17,086

@Andreu I love the description of the song, that stood out to me before even listening. The song itself is very vibey, the chorus is extremely catchy, and the video is nicely shot and has amazing colors.

@Joesuda I'm impressed how the visuals, the story, and the song all match so well together. This is rarely the case. And of course the song goes hard. The Pop-rock feels >>>>>>

• yaas, gaga 1

Moderator 6,288

@Andreu I really like the vibe of the song. It's so chill and a bit calming. The video is really cute too. Thanks for sharing!

@Joesuda I had no idea Kerli was Estonian so you thought me something new. I really love her music and I listen to "The Lucky Ones and "Walking On Air" religiously. "Diamond Hard" is really good. The visuals are a serve as usual!

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
2 minutes ago, SLAG said:

@Joesuda I had no idea Kerli was Estonian so you thought me something new. I really love her music and I listen to "The Lucky Ones and "Walking On Air" religiously. "Diamond Heart" is really good. The visuals are a serve as usual!

The way "Diamond Hard" turned into "Diamond Heart" - comparing Kerli and Gaga tease. But yeah, "Walking on Air" is probably my favourite track from Kerli and it was my ringtone for multiple years when I was about 10 years old. 

• yaas, gaga 1

Gaming Leader 6,416

Chile: this is a cute little bop. She’s definitely an auto tune legend. I like them as a duo and I enjoyed the video. Thanks for all the info included in the presentation! Excited to hear more from these artists @Andreu

Estonia: let me start by saying these are my favorite visuals of the day so far. Love all the info included and the aesthetic of it all. The song is good and I’ve heard of Kerli but only really have listened to 2 of her songs but this song was a good choice @Joesuda

• paws up 1

Popstanne 5,076

@Andreu I love the haunting sounds of the song you picked. It's super catchy but also very unique! Loved the video too, especially the colors and the expressions on Princesa Alba's face. 

@Joesuda This was my first time listening to Estonian music, but it won't be my last. Wow! Both the visuals and the song slay. Her voice is very rich and nuanced. I can see why she had to take breaks from filming, because yes, there is a darkness to the video that reminds me of Gaga's Judas. 

@PETTY You are the King of creating visuals –– wow! The song is infectious indeed, even though it's somewhat quiet and calming, and the message is all too relatable. I love her costumes and accessories in the video too! She looks so cool. 

Why'd you all have to be such formidable opponents?

Edited by Franch Toast
  • hugs 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Gaming Leader 8,440

@Andreu

Such a cute bop! It seemed so chill and mellow, I liked it.

UvJJrLW.gif 

@Joesuda

Whew, that was fire. The strings, the synths and the drop? Ohh, my wig *Silky Nutmeg Ganache's voice*

UvJJrLW.gif

@PETTY

You finally posted, proud of you fellow GL. I'm happy to hear your artist, and I'm definitly interested to hear more from her. Very cute bop!

UvJJrLW.gif

• hugs 1
  • yaas, gaga 1