Movie Club - What are you watching?

GitHub

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Mulan, the new one and I loved it. The old is better to me, and is more funny but the new one is still really good. My sister told me the actress was a communist or something though

Popster to Popster 3,752

I watched 3 Idiots last night. Really surprised at how much they packed into one movie & a great feel-good movie.

8 hours ago, thetea said:

I watched Mulan, the new one and I loved it. The old is better to me, and is more funny but the new one is still really good. My sister told me the actress was a communist or something though

Yeah I remember there being a lot of controversy around the film. I think she had made comments in support of Hong Kong police during the pro-democracy protests.

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288

I watched these recently 

b95c84d2a2f9832a98c0d17dd2a8825d.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGVvVgEKwwuN0IZjyOoOfMV5BZjhjNjVmNGYtOTU2MC00ZTJlLTg5ZjMtNDk5

They were all good. Judas and The Black messiah was REALLY good. Breaking news was interesting and sometimes funny though I feel like it could've been better as it had an amazing cast. It started off very slow. "Blithe Spirit" is so funny and one of the better remakes I've seen in a while. I love that they didn't try to modernize and instead stuck to the original. I do feel like the villain role fell short a bit. Leslie Mann imo always seems to be playing herself as a movie character (if that makes sense). She brought nothing to the characters. 

• paws up 2
  • yaas, gaga 2

Popster to Popster 3,752
14 minutes ago, SLAG said:

They were all good. Judas and The Black messiah was REALLY good.

Been hearing so many good things about this one I really want to see this once it goes to rent-on-demand. Lakeith Stanfield has amazing taste in projects; I really need to do a deep dive on his filmography soon.

19 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Leslie Mann imo always seems to be playing herself as a movie character (if that makes sense). She brought nothing to the characters. 

Say no more, I know exactly what you mean :icant:

• lol 1

Gaming Leader 8,440

Just finally watched Creep and Creep 2

Creep_(2014_film)_poster.jpg MV5BMjA2MTkxMDYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTc3Mzc4MzI@._V1_.jpg

Wtf did I watch :mess: It was worst than I expected, but it was still entertaining. I would've wanted more scary things to happen, but oh well. I prefered the second one, because the girl was just so IDGAF and I liked that, but the switch at the end was just dumb.

@Doot thots? :kiss: 

• lol 2

Popster to Popster 4,583

Just finished rewatching Lilo & Stitch for the first time in like a decade + and what a delightful, strange and profoundly sad movie.  I cannot believe it got made by Disney 

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 3
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

I admit I've always had a sweet spot for JT's acting but I still really did enjoy this movie when I watched it the other day. I'm a sucker for good storytelling and redemption movies.

JT plays a man fresh out of prison who ends up watching after a young boy who comes from a troubled home. It is a REALLY sweet and touching movie. I don't cry easily in movies but this one had me on the verge about 5 times lmao :bradley:

If you like heartfelt movies, give this one a whirl. Its exclusively on Apple TV I believe at the moment.

MV5BYTZhNzM4MDktYWUwMC00NTE1LTlkN2UtM2Y5

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752

@lavenderblondee for some reason I've always been a little put off by Justin Timberlake, but I watched the trailer and it looks interesting. Might have to give it a watch if I ever reactivate my Apple subscription.

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,889
8 minutes ago, GitHub said:

@lavenderblondee for some reason I've always been a little put off by Justin Timberlake, but I watched the trailer and it looks interesting. Might have to give it a watch if I ever reactivate my Apple subscription.

Definitely keep it in mind if you do! I walked into it not knowing a thing but the description, which likely made me enjoy it that much more with zero expectations.

The Social Network is one of my favorite films of all time, so I think that put JT in a new light for me. :mess:

The Fame Popster 319

My bf and I watched Dark Phoenix last night and it was... not good :katy: but i’m not into superhero movies (I loooved the x-men cartoon as a kid tho)

It’s a shame too bc I like many of the actors involved 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583

Watched Raya and the Last Dragon tonight and simultaneously enjoyed it and also had major issues 

Spoiler

I think they built out a really cool world and then barely show any of it.  I think it would've worked much better as a mini-series or Avatar style show that allowed to things to be way more fleshed out.

I also found the naivete to be really frustrating.  I get that it's a kids movie but especially after the last few years a "let's just all trust each other and things will be better" message just falls completely flat.  Not everyone can just be worked with and you shouldn't have to forgive people that f- you over or hurt you with no work on their part.

It's also beautiful, voice acting was great and I think it was cute and a lot of fun all of the above being said.

Edited by NotDoctor
Too negative
  • paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
12 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Has anyone watched Minari yet? I want to, but am trying to convince myself it's worth paying 20 bucks on streaming. 

No for some reason I didn't even realize it was on rent on demand yet :bradley: Based on the reviews it's getting I think $20 would be worth it. I'm watching The Two Popes tonight, but I might do Minari tomorrow then...

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288
1 hour ago, NotDoctor said:

Watched Raya and the Last Dragon tonight and simultaneously enjoyed it and also had major issues 

Reveal hidden contents

I think they built out a really cool world and then barely show any of it.  I think it would've worked much better as a mini-series or Avatar style show that allowed to things to be way more fleshed out.

I also found the naivete to be really frustrating.  I get that it's a kids movie but especially after the last few years a "let's just all trust each other and things will be better" message just falls completely flat.  Not everyone can just be worked with and you shouldn't have to forgive people that f- you over or hurt you with no work on their part.

It's also beautiful, voice acting was great and I think it was cute and a lot of fun all of the above being said.

Gonna watch this later today.:enigma:

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
4 minutes ago, DonnieDarko said:

I just watched the other day I Care A Lot. Let me just say that it’s an interesting movie with a good ending. Lol.

this keeps getting recommended to me, I may need to check it out!

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1