All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 3,689
8 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Infrastructure Updates

1) Yesterday, White House says Biden and Capito held a "constructive and frank" discussion in the Oval Office and plan to reconnect Friday. 

2) With Capito, Biden proposed $1T for infrastructure - down from WH’s $1.7T proposal (:rip:) but wants it in new money, GOP has proposed $257B in new spending. Biden still pushing for tax hikes to help pay for plan.

3) Biden privately offers Capito a new way to pay for infrastructure plan: A minimum corporate tax of 15 percent, seeking to take aim at dozens of profitable U.S. corporations....:rip:

4) Asked if infrastructure talks are taking too long if they stretch into July, Commerce Sec Gina Raimondo tells CNN "probably" but it "depends where we are." She says Republicans asked for more time amid Memorial Day deadline. "We want to get something done far sooner than July."

5) Ahead of Biden -Capito meeting tomorrow, Republicans believe $750b gap on size of spending package may be too large to bridge. they are weighing whether to make a new, larger offer as Biden signals some flexibility on tax policy 

6) AND THIS JUST IN.....

So for this keeping track at home.....in an attempt to fed Bipartisan support Biden has trimmed his overall plan from 2.25T to 1T and tabled the corporate tax rate (which to be fair, is apparently totally back on the table if the GOP doesn’t get back on board) but still...can we finally walk away from his and just continue doing this package alone? Like come on.....

Thanks for the summary :gaga-thanks: but mess. I hope @Starboys game isn't like this :icant: but I agree. The dems are better off just trying the reconciliation approach with such a big difference gap

• lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
1 hour ago, Starboy said:

Reading this hurts my head. Please, for the sake of America, meet in the middle and agree on a bipartisan agreement. The fact that they can’t even agree on infrastructure, one of the least partisan issues, is telling of how inept our Congress is :mess:

Pass a bill fully dictated by the Republican Party? No thanks, their shitty trickle down economics policy is what got us here in the first place....Biden bending over backwards and cutting half his bill is pathetic honestly. I didn’t vote for him to compromise and cut his ambitious agenda, I voted for him to get sh!t done.

People WANT THE RICH AND CORPORATIONS to pay their share but you’re gonna do what the GOP wants now? Okay Biden..let me know how that goes 4 years from now....:mess:

Bowman knows what’s up :tea:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
10 hours ago, Starboy said:

It wouldn’t be fully dictated by Republicans, it’d include a lot of what Republicans want or allow but that’s to be expected when the filibuster is still in place and Republicans control half of the Senate. It’s just not realistic to expect most of the Democrats’ proposals to be included in the infrastructure bill.

Of course no one voted for half-assed approaches but it’s Congress... they always do this. Watered-down bills are the norm and it’s just something we can’t change in the current political climate.

Like I’ve said before, it’s better to settle for something than to settle for nothing. I don’t like the rhetoric coming from Dems about “Republicans dictating what’s in the bill” because it’s not true. It’s called bipartisanship. The reason this narrative is coming up more and more among Dems is because they’re trying to play into their base and get them fired up for the mid-terms. It’s cheap politics. You, as well as I, know that any infrastructure bill would be beneficial for the country.

Yeah completely disagree...compromising on an infrastructure bill to keep us BEHIND instead of getting us AHEAD is completely the wrong move...you wanna know what compromise looks like?

We’re done compromising. Instead of fighting about protecting the upper class we need the QOP to focus on helping people in actual need...And if they aren’t gonna do it Biden better be prepared to pressure his own party to pass a massive bill because doing anything other than BIG AND BOLD LEGISLATION is a failure on the democrats and their majorities. 

...Biden has literally cut his plan in half and basically removed everything the GOP didn’t want...meanwhile I don’t see them budging on anything. So tell me how this isn’t being completely dictated by the Republicans cause...looks that way to me :mess:

Dropped that corporate tax rate REAL QUICK :mess:

• thanks 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
53 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Sorry but I think we need more bipartisan, not less. Biden campaigned on that and he campaigned on healing our nation. We need to reach out to the other side and work with them where we can, not sidestepping them completely because it’s politically convenient to do so.

That’s just the state of politics! Republicans do in fact hold a tremendous amount of sway and power in the Senate because we barely have a majority. We can’t just go with what we want to put in the bill without a great amount of their input in it. That doesn’t change the fact that this is still Biden’s infrastructure bill and he’ll still be taking the credit for it in the end.

I love Jamaal Bowman but he is just wrong on this one.

You can't compromise with a delegation that is openly telling people their entire purpose is to slow down and entirely halt all legislation from this administration.  McConnell hammers on that over and over and it's the same sh!t he did when Obama was president.  Dems spent months watering down the ACA and then no republicans voted for it anyway.  Bipartisanship is a pipe dream and does not work in our current political reality.  All its going to do it make Dems legislation worse with no real support from Republicans 

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
3 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

You can't compromise with a delegation that is openly telling people their entire purpose is to slow down and entirely halt all legislation from this administration.  McConnell hammers on that over and over and it's the same sh!t he did when Obama was president.  Dems spent months watering down the ACA and then no republicans voted for it anyway.  Bipartisanship is a pipe dream and does not work in our current political reality.  All its going to do it make Dems legislation worse with no real support from Republicans 

Yeah I honestly didn’t even think this had to be stated AGAIN but literally this haha

@Starboy why are you insisting on bending over backwards and watering down an bill that you realize could greatly help the American people for the sake of bipartisanship when we clearly know they have no interest in that? You think they’re gonna get 10 GOP senators to sign on to a 1T+ Biden bill? I would literally bet MONEY on that never happening. Literally ever.

another example of failed bipartisanship? The 1/6 commission...NO REPUBLICAN IS VOTING FOR A MASSIVE BIDEN LEGISLATIVE WIN. Point blank. You’re beginning to sound like Manchin.....

Joe Manchin GIF by GIPHY News

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
4 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

Can someone please explain to me why the Press Secretary is meeting with the Property Brothers :whatga:

Because we’re more likely to get a meaningful infrastructure bill with them than the QOP? :whatga:

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
35 minutes ago, Starboy said:

And some are showing that they are willing to work with Dems. Sen. Capito has been leading the charge on behalf of Republicans so there is room for a bipartisan agreement.

Not involving Republicans in the process will only hurt our democracy when we need 60 votes to pass something. No bipartisanship will most certainly do more damage in the long-run. We can’t keep this up in a healthy and functioning republic.

They're "willing to work" is cutting almost everything important and doing almost nothing that would help actual, working class Americans.

Also I have seen no evidence that there would be 10 Republicans willing to vote for this even if Capito/Romney/Colins come to a compromise with the white house.  Their compromises are a complete joke and insulting.  They have to be willing to come to the table in good faith and they clearly are not.  Instead we're gonna get a horrific bill that does nothing and gets no real republican support, again.  And they win because huge amounts of time get wasted and no new, meaningful legislation moves forward.

Bipartisanship only works if you have both sides working in good faith and they are not.  Stating that it should be true doesn't make it true and is incredibly naive.

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 1
  • sad 1
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
33 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Well then we won’t get anything done. What’s the alternative? Putting up bills with no Republican input and having them fail each time they’re up for a vote? I don’t think Biden would want the legacy of being known as the President who couldn’t get anything done and failed in his campaign promises to “Build Back Better”.

No, I’m not anything like Manchin at all. I want the filibuster removed but since it’s still in place then it’s obvious that the only path forward is bipartisanship. It just a matter of math. If you want to pass something that requires 60 votes and you only have 50 then maybe do things that will get you those 10 extra votes. That’s it.

And I also believe that bipartisanship is the key to healing our divided Congress and nation.

If we had another party that actually wanted to negotiate than I would agree but we don’t...people from Toomey, Cornyn, Thune, Barasso, Blunt have thrown cold water on the negotiations several times. They said that 800B would probably be too much for their party....there’s no way in hell they are voting for a 1T+ package that would be a “win” for Biden...that would never happen. If that’s what they wanted they would’ve done it when they had control for the last 4 years. 

like @NotDoctor said, I still don’t see proof of 10 people who would vote for it....Capito having “discussions” mean absolutely nothing...remember when McCarthy gave one of his members the duty of getting the 1/6 commission, they didn’t vote for it anyway. Even after his member got everything he asked for. They DONT WANT TO ACTUALLY NEGOTIATE. They handcuff their own negotiators....

Capito has CLEARLY been instructed by McConnell to keep talks going on and on as long as possible to delay and water down..just like the ACA.

You can scream Bipartisanship all you want bruh but it’s not gonna happen. And yes, in that way you sound like Manchin. Thisnwhole “Bipartisanship will Heal the country” talk is so incredibly naive. You really think the people who attacked the capitol and want to strip voting rights give one sh!t if there’s  bipartisan infrastructure talk? Is that suddenly gonna make people think Joe Biden is the legitimate president? Please tell me what BIPARTISANSHIP will accomplish with the GOP, what will the consequences be of passing bipartisan legislation other than watered down bills that don’t help enough people? 

Joe Manchin Filibuster GIF by GIPHY News

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590

BREAKING NEWS:

SLAY JEN PSAKI BLAST BAD ROMANCE 

Jen Psaki GIF by GIPHY News

edit: in honor of ongoing discussion please see the new poll :) answer accordingly!!!! Happy weekend yall!

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • shook 1
  • lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590

Wow raised their whole offer by 50B$.......:mess:

So far Biden has moved from 2.2T in new spending down to 1T (asking for)...and the GOP has moved from like 250B to 300B in new spending....yay bipartisanship..this is totally healing the country just like intended..right? :mess:

@NotDoctor

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • lol 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
18 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Wow raised their whole offer by 50B$.......:mess:

So far Biden has moved from 2.2T in new spending down to 1T (asking for)...and the GOP has moved from like 250B to 300B in new spending....yay bipartisanship..this is totally healing the country just like intended..right? :mess:

@NotDoctor

Can’t wait for dems to lower it to $300B for the sake of ~bipartisanship~ and then republicans will block it anyway :overit:

• paws up 1
  • sad 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
3 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

Can’t wait for dems to lower it to $300B for the sake of ~bipartisanship~ and then republicans will block it anyway :overit:

Don’t put that energy out there...they might actually do it :laughga:

P.S. participate in the poll if you so choose :prideheart:

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590

:mess: What a f-ing joke...So let me get this straight: Sen. Manchin claims to want to protect voting rights, but wants to empower Senate Republicans who are hellbent on restricting voting rights?

AHH YES...what’s that lovely concept that he thinks exists? Bipartisanship...? :laughga:

also..update on NC 2022 Senate Race...Rep Ted Budd gets Trumps endorsement, Lara Trump NOT RUNNING.

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 4,583
47 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

:mess: What a f-ing joke...So let me get this straight: Sen. Manchin claims to want to protect voting rights, but wants to empower Senate Republicans who are hellbent on restricting voting rights?

AHH YES...what’s that lovely concept that he thinks exists? Bipartisanship...? :laughga:

also..update on NC 2022 Senate Race...Rep Ted Budd gets Trumps endorsement, Lara Trump NOT RUNNING.

list use GIF
f- Manchin

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

Not quite politics, but Washington state is now allowing marijuana giveaways as an incentive to get the vaccine :mess:

Spoiler

“Joints for Jabs" is officially a thing in Washington state.  

The state's Liquor and Cannabis Board said this week that it would allow state-licensed cannabis retailers to "provide one joint to adult consumers who receive COVID-19 vaccination at an in-store vaccination clinic."

The program is the latest vaccination incentive in a state that just days ago reached its goal of at least vaccinating 70% of state adults. Gov. Jay Inslee has said reaching that mark will allow elimination of most remaining coronavirus-driven restrictions across the state.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/06/08/washington-state-allows-free-marijuana-covid-vaccine/7598398002/

• lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,590
U.S. Innovation & Competition Act:

68-32, Senate passed a 250B$ China competitiveness Bill, had a lot of overlap with elements of Biden’s “American Jobs Plan” !!!!

Paycheck Fairness Act: 

Gillibrand missed the vote (she supports it) but every single GOP Senator votes AGINST EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN :whatga: pathetic…..

Infrastructure Update:

Biden has moved on from GOP negotiations, focused has moved to the G20 group of Bipartisan senators…

per Manu Raju of CNN: “Biden spoke with Sinema, Cassidy, and Manchin today, WH says. But also: “The President also spoke with Senate Majority Leader Schumer to discuss the need to commence work on the budget resolution process” for Senate floor action next month. Translation: Reconcilation.”

FYI: The senators involved in the new bipartisan infrastructure group are Romney, Manchin, Portman, Warner, Tester, Shaheen, Collins, Murkowski, Sinema, Cassidy (5 Dem and 5 GOP Senators)

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 4,420

Terry McAuliffe easily wins VA Dem Governors Nom

This is my neck of the woods so I've been following this race super closely! Not a surprise that McAuliffe won big - his name ID is sky-high in VA, and the rest of the field was super divided with no standouts.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal